The new corvette

Under 3 seconds to 60. That's pretty spiffy. I am not a fan of the giant Trump border wall down the middle of the fucking seats though. The price is great.

Pretty solid for the price. Simple design changes would have made it way better though. These things will be track cars for the current Vette crew, and I bet the prancing horse crew will be running these at the race track too. But I'll wait for reviews and first year model issues

Clarkson nailed it "The Corvette is so tail-happy, you can park it outside a store and when you come back out it's facing the other way".

And 495 horses is nowhere close to enough, whatever they do for the next Z06 Z07 equivalent might tick the box but I had more horses in a full 5 seater saloon 12 years ago. Out of date before it goes on sale.

Yeah 495HP is a bit odd when you have the Dodge Challenger/Charger at over 700HP with the Hellcat/Redeye (or over 800HP with the more expensive/limited Demon). Even Ford has over 700HP from the Mustang Shelby GT500 (have to pay more for that one though).

They were able to get over 600HP from the Camaro ZL1 but I guess they're going more sports car than muscle car this time.

Last edited:
Yeah but everything Dodge produces and the Mustang are all cars I would rather eat my own shit than drive. Corvette at least looks decent even if they have thrown styling cues from Audi and Ferrari in a bucket and stirred it with a stick.

I just wonder if they'll put a halfway decent interior in the final product (or if it'll be the cheap hard plastic found in every Honda Civic since the dawn of time). Although I suppose the people who buy these cars don't usually care either way. :weird:

I just wonder if they'll put a halfway decent interior in the final product (or if it'll be the cheap hard plastic found in every Honda Civic since the dawn of time). Although I suppose the people who buy these cars don't usually care either way. :weird:

Same shit as a BRZ.
Also, the fucking Christmas tree of buttons down the middle of the compartment is stupid.

OK - I am over this car.

Yeah 495HP is a bit odd when you have the Dodge Challenger/Charger at over 700HP with the Hellcat/Redeye (or over 800HP with the more expensive/limited Demon). Even Ford has over 700HP from the Mustang Shelby GT500 (have to pay more for that one though).

They were able to get over 600HP from the Camaro ZL1 but I guess they're going more sports car than muscle car this time.

495hp is bad for the base model vette? for $60k midengine? you're comparing a new 2 door, 2 seater, midengine car to 4 door sedans in another segment. those things are 20k sedans with a huge motor upfront. those things were designed around economy and the massive engine was an afterthought.

my 525hp v10 r8 was double the cost not too many years ago. driven many tracks in that car, and my 2 other exotics, and have been passed by race car drivers in miatas. yet here we are talking about 495hp isn't enough.

edit: don't worry though, they'll release the higher horsepower models in the next year or two. if you're a track guy, they won't be worth the $$. maybe a guy who goes to the drag strip or likes to brag about horsepower.

Last edited:
Oh Plasmatic dipping a toe into a new car thread. No rusty shitbuckets for poor people here buddy, move along.

495hp plenty. Obviously more models will come, I'm betting with 800+ hp. Corvette remains stellar performance value.

Mine has about 420whp and it readily spins the 345s. For track play, this power level is excellent. You don't have to worry as much about high heat and wear either. This is why the Grand Sport vettes stay in high demand. They have all the Z06 go-fast parts and widebody, but without the big horsepower.

I'm not a fan of vettes in the least. The old ones are cool (68-73) but are brute force more than curvy slot car. Early vettes ride like shit, 70's, 80's vettes are ridiculous. New vettes are just outrageously priced cars.

your statement clearly shows you know nothing about vettes, which explains you not being a fan (or maybe not being a fan causes you to make uneducated statements?).

As a vette owner (I restored the 80 C3 my dad bought new), I like all vettes and other than the C4's (not my style), think they are beautiful cars. Any person who shits on C1's and C2's clearly has never been in one or appreciates classic American sports cars.

Now us educated folks who appreciate vettes recognize each C group has it's ups and downs. Like I said, C4 is my least favorite and I would love to own or restore a C1 (gotta dream big). I fell on love with the C7, and I think the C8 is great and agree with others above that as Chevy starts to open the packages up we'll start to see higher HP, higher prices, and more test data that gets those of you who think it is all in the numbers interested. But give it time.

I was shocked at the base price. My plan was to let the C8 come out and watch all those with the disposable income to buy new shiny things make a run on the C8, trading in their hardly used C7's. I anticipated getting a great deal on a C7 in 2020/21 but this lower price creates new options. Will a base C8 at $60k (call it $65k or $70k by the time dealers get done) create a price drop for C7s? My budget for the C7 was $60k anyway so maybe look at a C8?

Feel free to not like vettes...I will more than balance the scale in my love for them (except those yuppie C4's).

I used to make all the brakes for Corvette (they were designed, engineered and manufactured in Australia). I did my early years working in R&D at the brake factory.

We had a red '89 convertible, blue 88? hardtop and a 1990 black IROC and also a couple of the future body styles that were kept under padding for disguise. When the model range finished we took to those things with sledgehammers and then sent them to the crusher. It brought tears to the eyes of a 20 yr old struggling to save enough for a second hand Mazda.

They were awesome cars back in the day

I know someone with one of the two tone ones from the early 80's (late 70's?). No where near showroom condition, it still looks so goddam awesome in a super cool grungy Boogie Nights way.

gNMtWmI.jpg

I want

I actually like the new vette compared to the outgoing models. Hell I haven't liked any vette they've made since the last C3s which was early 80s.

Back