[Mega] MAGA Super Trump Mega Thread

Trumps issue with trade is that he hasn't learned anything new about trade since the 80's.

90% of the issues he has brought up with regards to trade with Canada would have been addressed by TPP, but no can't have that evil Obama trade deal.

Canada aside, the TPP was a deal between the US and a bunch of poor nations that can and will do anything to undercut US business to secure reserve currency. Not to mention it provides its own governance with no oversight, just like the EU, removing autonomy from any countries involved in a dispute. It was a massive globalism power grab and one of the primary reasons I voted for Trump because he was against it.

Maybe you should actually research the shady as fuck history surrounding the TPP and what it was actually doing before just brushing it off as "durr trump didn't like it, must be good".

How is it not?

The US economy is 70% services now.

We have a 250 billion trade SURPLUS is services annaully.

The goods deficit is the inevitable outcome of that. Tariffs will cost more jobs than they create or save and are a tax on US consumers.

Fucking comparative advantage is why the deficit isn't a capitulation.

Now you go.

Last edited:
Canada aside, the TPP was a deal between the US and a bunch of poor nations that can and will do anything to undercut US business to secure reserve currency. Not to mention it provides its own governance with no oversight, just like the EU, removing autonomy from any countries involved in a dispute. It was a massive globalism power grab and one of the primary reasons I voted for Trump because he was against it.

Maybe you should actually research the shady as fuck history surrounding the TPP and what it was actually doing before just brushing it off as "durr trump didn't like it, must be good".

Not going to defend the TPP as a whole but Trump is obsessed with bilateral trade agreements which are significantly less efficient than multilateral trade agreements. Globalization isn't all bad, obviously there are winners and losers, there are costs but the benefits have been greater.

NAFTA is the reason Asian and European auto manufactures built assembly factories in the US for example.

No trade agreement is perfect but if you want an example of the perils of the protectionist economy just look at Brazil, constant inflationary shocks and high prices on inferior goods all for the sake of protecting Brazilian companies.

Trade agreements like the TPP are designed to protect multinational corporations and allow them to exploit every aspect of the world economy. Each nation should be able to tune its own trade knobs in a manner that it deems best for its people. There are unintended consequences everywhere when dealing with world economics. Once you submit to our corporate capitalist overlords fully, it will be incredibly difficult to ever go back.

Trump is at his most sane when he rebukes where the world economy is going. I don't agree that there needs to be some tit for tat that he is engaging in, but he probably doesn't either, he's making a point.

Thought governments weren't supposed to be picking winners and losers?

Piecemeal protectionism is fucking dumb. In general government subsidies are fucking dumb.

The US economy is 70% services now.

We have a 250 billion trade SURPLUS is services annaully.

The goods deficit is the inevitable outcome of that. Tariffs will cost more jobs than they create or save and are a tax on US consumers.

Fucking comparative advantage is why the deficit isn't a capitulation.

Now you go.

Because it's not inevitable

How is a economy that is largely based on services not going to suffer a goods trade deficit without suffering from price inflation for goods?

It's not, not unless we increase goods-based trade, or negotiate better deals on services to make up the difference.

Thought governments weren't supposed to be picking winners and losers?

Uhh you can damn well bet I want my government to pick my country's interests over the interests of corporations that seek to exploit disparate economies. You brushed off the "winners and losers" of multilateral trade agreements as irrelevant or for some greater good which is highly dishonest.

Piecemeal protectionism is fucking dumb. In general government subsidies are fucking dumb.

Yeah I agree, corporate subsidies such as in China where they can pay their workers a couple dollars a day are dumb. I want my $2 cheapshit plastic widget because globalism. Suicide nets? Not on my side of the world so I don't care. In fact, I care so little I want to protect corporations that do this.

It's not, not unless we increase goods-based trade, or negotiate better deals on services to make up the difference.

Still doesn't explain why you call the trade balance a capitulation or why the number itself is a metric that matters. Cute how afraid you are of actually defending what you say.

...and other dreams of an imbecile

i don't understand why it's so crazy to imagine that we could manufacture things in the united states again. it's obvious that the whole "everyone needs to go to college and be a doctor or some shit" thing is not working, we have a lot of people that need jobs, manufacturing would be a good thing for us.

Back