Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

I mean you can stream content w/o it obviously, but I don't want the man knocking on my door. The way I stream the NFL (gamepass) it is needed, however. Gotta fake my country.

lol its 2017 everyone is pirating shit these days

no 1 is knocking on your door this isnt 1999

It's there. Do what I just did. Download Kodi 17.1 to your computer, then install Sports Devil, Sports Angel, and Deliverance. They all have the same channels, mostly from the UK.

Look up Sky Sports, Bein, BT Sports, Pack 12, Astro. They all have a TV guide on their web site. I just looked on Bein and they have Porsche Tennis Gran Prix Match Of The Day. I was watching the NFL draft on Sky Sports.

probably gonna need a vpn for all dis ;)

probably gonna need a vpn for all dis ;)

The thing is, you can be doing all this now, before you cut the cord. In my case, we put up the antenna, got Amazon Prime, then cut the cord. I had no sports for a few weeks. You can install Kodi on your computer and fire tablet right now. That's step one. Then you learn how to install the addons. It's weird at first because you have to add a file location, then open the package zip in the addon menu. Then you'll have a huge listing of channels and won't know where anything is. That's where I am right now. What's cool is you can make Kodi play in a window, so you can surf the net at the same time.

there has to be a catch to it though... either a matter of maintaining a ratio, or degraded quality or something.

there has to be a catch to it though... either a matter of maintaining a ratio, or degraded quality or something.
The catch would probably be the addons and finding the channels. With cable, they give you a box, you have a TV Guide, and you know it's going to be up. It's all spoon fed to you and works for the masses. They support it, get all your TVs hooked up, then charge you a ton for the few channels you really want to watch.

With Kodi, there's a learning curve installing addons and finding what's on the channels. You are the support. There are no ratios and the channel quality is fine. Sometimes there's a pause because it's streaming. It basically means you have to do a little work to find what you're looking for.

Last edited:
subscribed to ps vue and it covered everything I was missing. The Kodi is cool and all but sometimes the quality just sucks.

I was going to do this - tried calling Tecksavvy 5x and those dipshits dont answer their phones, so I said fuck it - let's try Bell.

Rogers was charging me $250/month for home phone/cable/internet

Bell offers the same shit, faster (fiber optic) internet for less than half the price ($103)

While just internet alone would be $70 - so I switched to Bell...

See what happens.

The catch would probably be the addons and finding the channels. With cable, they give you a box, you have a TV Guide, and you know it's going to be up. It's all spoon fed to you and works for the masses. They support it, get all your TVs hooked up, then charge you a ton for the few channels you really want to watch.

With Kodi, there's a learning curve installing addons and finding what's on the channels. You are the support. There are no ratios and the channel quality is fine. Sometimes there's a pause because it's streaming. It basically means you have to do a little work to find what you're looking for.

having to set shit up isnt the point... its the fact someone is hosting all that content. they wouldnt do it for free at a high quality + reliability without a catch.

Bump. Remembered something interesting last night.

My parents have Comcast cable with all channels. It would be hard for them to cut the cord because they watch the movie channels, plus they're far from a major city for an HD antenna. Then the light bulb went off in my head.

I can watch all the Comcast channels on my computer by logging into their account. My daughter had done this with my account, and then I remembered I could do the same thing. I have my parents user ID and password because I helped set it up. I logged in and sure enough, I was able to watch the hockey game. Boom, I have all of Comcast even after I cut the cord.

Bump. Comcast raised rates to start 2018. My Performance Internet went from 64.95 to 69.96 a month. Other fees went up as well, just like they did last year.

My parents switched from Comcast to Direct TV because Comcast was too expensive. Now they have phone and internet with CenturyLink.

There was also this thread from last year.
Cutting the cord by JuggerNaught - TribalWar Forums

I don't understand what Comcast is thinking. They're idea is that everyone will pay $100 a month for internet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wonder how long it will last... before they get shutdown and your money is gone...
It's the new cat and mouse game. I was going to try 3 months for $50. If one goes down then you say screw it and move on to one that's up. All you have to do is google "Best IPTV." Sure beats paying Comcast and their ridiculous rental box fees and gubiment taxes. The question will be how fast Comcast starts blocking or throttling these sites.

I haven't got it yet, but the co-worker told me it's not perfect. Some channels have pauses and others are like cams from a playstation box. There is work to finding content as there's no programming guides. If all fails I do have Amazon Prime and I could buy a legit package. But that would be $50 a month.

A year ago, the fire sticks and set top boxes were not perfect. Now we can install apps on them, they stream in 4k with a faster processor, and there's IPTV sites.

Last edited:
I was going to do this - tried calling Tecksavvy 5x and those dipshits dont answer their phones, so I said fuck it - let's try Bell.

Rogers was charging me $250/month for home phone/cable/internet

Bell offers the same shit, faster (fiber optic) internet for less than half the price ($103)

While just internet alone would be $70 - so I switched to Bell...

See what happens.

jfc i thot comcast screwed me @ $55/mo

btw centurylink is great if u only need service for 15 minutes a day, available at random 3 minute intervals

Last edited:
Back