Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

I am currently playing $120 a month for Cox internet (100mgbs), tv, and phone. Fios is not in my area, so I am stuck with Cox. Cord cutting will drop me down to $87 a month. This is a $33 a month in savings.

My stream device is Amazon 4k Firestick

I am already paying for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and I plan on using reddit streams for Sports (via pc).

I just care about the following Live tv:
  • Local Channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc)
  • Food Network
  • Game Show Network
  • HGTV

LoCast ($5) and Philo ($16) can easily get me what I want, but at that rate I'm only saving $12/month, which isn't worth it. The cost of internet is too damn high!

I see people talking about IPTV for $8/month, which would be great, but I don't see any Live TV options, just Video on Demand.

Man I wish I had Fios. They have a 100up/down for $39.99 a month.

A couple ideas. For local channels, you get an HD Antenna, put it in your attic, run the co-ax cable to where Cox comes into the house, and hook up all your TVs to OTA. Then you might need to run a separate line for your Cox internet connection to your modem unless you can find the cable that goes to your modem and split it off. In my case, I have a separate line for the modem connection. Then you tell each TV to scan for local channels. Get co-ax cable and connectors at Home Depot. Get the antenna on Amazon, search for "HD Antenna" and decide if you want indoor, attic, or outdoor.

I don't have it yet, but you could get Shack TV for sports.
DOWNLOAD SHACK TV ON ANDROID FIRESTICK - YouTube
IPTV | Shack Television.com
Food Network has an App on the FireStick 4k. It has some free videos, and you can subscribe for more content.

You use the Downloader App to get the APK files for your firestick, or use the ES Explorer and your Google Drive account if you download the APK files from your PC. Use Alexa to find the downloader and EsExplorer app.

Yeah, your internet rate is expensive. Mine is $69.99 with Comcast and I have Amazon Prime.

The first step is buying the HD Antenna, installing it, and scanning channels on your TV. Once you do this, you can take your boxes back and go internet only.
One of the Apps I have on my Firestick 4k is Cinema TV, it has a bunch of TV shows and movies.

You can find all your content, just have to learn how to download the extra apps to your Firestick 4k.
Downloader app
EsExplorer app
Cinema TV
Free Flix
Shack TV (subscription but will give you everything)

Last edited:
Those are good suggestions, but I live currently in a rented townhome/appt. An HD attenna is kinda an eyesore, reception can be spotty during storms, and we don't have access to wiring it to support 2 TVs.

Shack TV isn't needed for sports, thats what Reddit is for (free).

Cord Cutting really is negated if, like in my case, the internet cost is super high anyways and you have to stay legal so no pirating.

Welcome to Cox. Your package is currently $120/mo, but will go up to $175/mo after 6mo followed by increasing to $280/mo after a year. We're banking on the fact that you won't call to update your package.

You could get one of those square HD Antenna that goes on a wall. If it works, you would get one for the other TV. Not the best looking, place behind the TV, or cover it with a picture. Something like this.
Amazon.com: [2019 Latest] Amplified HD Digital TV Antenna Long 65-80 Miles Range s Indoor Powerful HDTV Amplifier Signal Booster - 18ft Coax Cable/USB Power Adapter: Electronics
Scroll down the comments and there's a link to see what channels you will get.

Then it's a question of loading Apps on your Firestick 4k. They're not illegal per say. Some of them have movies for free but play ads, for example Tubi.

Shack TV is $80 for 6 months. If it gets shut down, then you find another IPTV service. You could cancel Netflix and go with Shack TV.

IPTV is the future. I have streamed a movie using my phone as a hot spot on Cinema TV. Amazon Prime will stream, but in a low resolution, probably because it thinks it's a phone (which it is). The future may be using a phone as a hot spot once they go to 5G. Then you could cut your internet connection.

You basically make this a hobby, trying the HD Antenna, that's where it all starts. If it doesn't work, send it back, or keep it until you move. Once you have the HD Antenna, you'll be fine with the channels on local TV, and you'll take back your boxes. Laurie watches the cop dramas on ION and movies on PrimeTv. She used to watch HGTV but doesn't miss it. I used to watch the Science channel, but I can find a bunch of science shows on Prime or Cinema TV.

It's funny because when I installed the HD antenna, I thought we would keep cable for a month, but Laurie said she was OK with no HGTV and told me to take back my boxes to Comcast that day once I scanned the channels on the main TV. I came home, we had local channels and Amazon Prime, everything was OK. I couldn't believe I was on internet only.

Last edited:
I'm back. 6 month bump. Time flies. Ordered this.
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect Quatro HDHR5-4US
It's a 4 tuner box that connects to Plex. Connect your HD Antenna to the HomeRun (Co-Ax Cable), plug it into your router (RJ45 cable), install the Homerun software and Plex on your computer, get a Plex Pass account (requires a subscription or lifetime membership), and you can stream your live TV channels anywhere.
Media Server | Plex allows you to stream video smarter.

Video showing how to set it up for live TV.
Plex Live TV Setup with built in DVR!! Cut the Cord!! Watch from Anywhere!! - YouTube

Why would you care about streaming your local channels on Plex? When I've cut the cord at my parents and they live 50 miles from the TV towers. I can log into my Plex account on the TV using the Fire Stick, and watch my local channels from Miami (250 miles away). You could be in an airport or a plane and watch your TV Channels and all your movies on your phone. Some of you have done this, but now it's becoming main stream. I got the Plex lifetime pass.

This also means you can try your HD Antenna in different parts of the home connected to the HomeRun box, as long as you can connect to the computer with the RJ45 connector. You don't need to connect the HD Antenna to the TVs, it connects to the HomeRun box connected to your computer, then you have a FireStick 4k on each TV which connects with Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Got my Homerun box, installed, works. It's the best. If you're using an HD Antenna, get that box and buy a lifetime subscription to Plex for $119. Why?

You can view your channels on any device with Plex installed and a connection to the internet. It can be a phone, tablet, TV (with Firestick).

Plex has a great TV interface that shows all your channels with picture icons for what is playing, and you can see what is coming up next. Way easier than going one channel at a time or typing in the channel number on the remote.

Once you install Plex, go to settings and reduce the Quality so it doesn't lag.

GET THE HOMERUN BOX AND A PLEX SUBSCRIPTION.

I use a nVidia Shield TV. I pay for SmoothStreams and Firestarter IPTV services - pretty much all American channels, all UK channels, all PPVs, all WWE, all ESPN+, MLB TV, NFL Ticket, all NBA games, all soccer games in almost any major country, all NHL games, HBO, Max, Showtime, all Fox-NBC-CBS-ABC but just not local, etc, etc. I do a year sub at a time. SS comes out to $10/month and Firestarter comes out to $10.70 a month. Unfortunately, both are closed and invites only open once or twice a year to new subs. Firestarter also has video on demand repository (VOD) for most popular TV shows and tons of movies to stream.

SS comes with a lot of configuring required if you're not familiar with it but once it's set up with Tvirl/Live Channels for Android TV apps then it's golden. Firestarter has its own app which requires a login and then just works flawlessly.

Comcast Blast Internet: $50/month SS: $10/month Firestarter: $10.70/month - Pretty nice.

gotsa b a real tr00 wyte trash cuckfuk disgr8c 2 ya own race frenz n family 2 not able afford cable TV n intanetz loool smdh lol :jester:

What's up, fatty? Still overweight and smoking 2 packs a day?

still married to a lard ass woman that bosses you around like the cuck u r?

edit: i might be getting you mixed up with phaytal. ur both humongous faggots, either way.

Last edited:
Plex is working at my parents house. It's amazing to watch my TV channels 250 miles away. I have it set to stream at 1.5mbps, and the picture looks great.

The only thing I don't care about is all the commercials. But I like watching my local Fox station for the local news. Then I switch over to Amazon Prime and watch Farscape with no commercials.

still married to a lard ass woman that bosses you around like the cuck u r?

edit: i might be getting you mixed up with phaytal. ur both humongous faggots, either way.

no he couldn't keep his lard ass

she left him for another guy

he now has to joe biden his young son with open mouth kisses in public he doesn't want or ask for

post those all over fb and twitter so he can go to pizza parties

I am currently playing $120 a month for Cox internet (100mgbs), tv, and phone. Fios is not in my area, so I am stuck with Cox. Cord cutting will drop me down to $87 a month. This is a $33 a month in savings.

My stream device is Amazon 4k Firestick

I am already paying for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and I plan on using reddit streams for Sports (via pc).

I just care about the following Live tv:
  • Local Channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc)
  • Food Network
  • Game Show Network
  • HGTV

LoCast ($5) and Philo ($16) can easily get me what I want, but at that rate I'm only saving $12/month, which isn't worth it. The cost of internet is too damn high!

I see people talking about IPTV for $8/month, which would be great, but I don't see any Live TV options, just Video on Demand.

Man I wish I had Fios. They have a 100up/down for $39.99 a month.

I use a roof antenna and went to antennaweb.org to figure out the best direction to point the antenna to. I use the Fire TV recast with a 1 TB internal drive that can be expanded with a external drive and has 4 tuners. Works pretty good for local channel HD reception.

I just have cable internet and stream Netflix and amazon
I use Ooma for home phone service. My Comcast bill was almost 200 a month its down to 105 with Sling Tv cable channel subscription.

The downside is you have to check several services for shows you like to watch instead of everything in one place. Comcast tried to sell me on deals but failed. :)

Back