Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

Bump. Rush laid out a good argument as to why people are cutting the cord. Millenniums can't afford cable. ESPN charges cable $7 for each subscriber. Comcast had recently raised their regional sports fee and broadcast fee by $2. Now we hear that ESPN is laying off most of their liberal talent. That's because half the people like me no long want to watch this crap. They're basically alienating half their audience (like me). Then we add in the box rental fees, and cable plus internet is over $200.

people would pay if it was reasonably priced. its not. they've done enough nickel and diming over the years to creep the price up to where its no longer worth it.

This is OFN, but Google is getting into the game for cable-cutters (only major markets at first, though). They will target budget subscribers.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

Google just joined the “skinny bundle” TV war with YouTube TV, a paid subscription service that streams a slew of premium broadcast and cable networks to your mobile device, tablet, computer, and anything with Chromecast.

Just $35 a month gets you six accounts and access to live TV from more than 40 providers including the big broadcast networks, ESPN, regional sports networks and dozens of popular cable networks. Subscriptions include cloud DVR with unlimited storage, AI-powered search and personalization, and access to YouTube Red programming. YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki calls it the evolution of television, and a bid to “give the younger generation the content that they love with the flexibility they expect.”

So-called skinny bundles include only those channels you really want, at a price that is cheaper than traditional cable. They also bring the world one step closer to the day when you can watch what you want, when you want, when you want, on the device you want. YouTube TV joins a growing wave of services, including Dish’s Sling TV, Sony PlayStation Vue, and AT&T’s new DirectTV Now, with a similar web TV offering from Hulu expected soon. And like these other options, unfortunately, YouTube still has some holes with its offering.

The channel line-up isn't bad, but has holes, as mentioned in the article. No Discovery or History channel. These are pretty standard channels. I didn't spend the time checking into what else is missing from a standard cable line-up. I would like to cut the cable, but want to wait for the packages to mature.

Last edited:
This is OFN, but Google is getting into the game for cable-cutters (only major markets at first, though). They will target budget subscribers.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

The channel line-up isn't bad, but has holes, as mentioned in the article. No Discovery or History channel. These are pretty standard channels. I didn't spend the time checking into what else is missing from a standard cable line-up. I would like to cut the cable, but want to wait for the packages to mature.

this pisses me off. i still don't understand why they made aereo.com go, it was just a restream of your local channels you can get for free over the air, and you were paying for the cloud dvr capabilities 12 bucks a month. was such a good service, fuck the courts for destroying them.

my internet is 85 bucks which i think is too much. it's their pro performance package which is what you get if you want more than 25Mbps down. Before I cancelled cable, I was paying 40 bucks for it. Once I cancelled cable it went to 85. so that's how they are fucking me.

is it worth it to disconnect? ABSO FUCKING LUTELY. I was paying $10 just to have HD (ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?), plus $10 for every additional outlet I had going past my TV. I was paying almost $200 before, now I'm paying $85 + $39 for playstation vue which has all the TV channels I care about in HD (without paying EXTRA for just having HD WHAT THE FUCK) and ... the BIG PLUS is that I don't have to fucking deal with Comcast nearly as much. Now they are trying to cap my internet because they know I'm free from the cord. I have amazon prime and fire tv and I can watch all my movies from kodi. there is ZERO reason to have cable, but the fact they more than doubled my internet cost when I left cable PISSES ME OFF.

FUCK comcast, and FUCK their monopoly and FUCK this broken system.

I am glad they are going the way of blockbuster. They will go down when everyone starts cutting the cord and moving to ala carte cable channels and moving away from bullshit fees.

This is what I have seen. If I cancel a basic level of tv cable my internet costs much more. With my level of cable I miss ESPN and ESPNU for football. So I just subscribed to sling during football season. I liked sling but with the bundle crap it is tough....

ESPN is like crazy liberal.

dan lebatards show is completely unlistenable. he never talks about sports, it's social issues only, and if someone in sports is involved in a social issue then he'll touch on it. fucking shitshow.

This is what I have seen. If I cancel a basic level of tv cable my internet costs much more. With my level of cable I miss ESPN and ESPNU for football. So I just subscribed to sling during football season. I liked sling but with the bundle crap it is tough....

This is exactly how they will contain cordcutting in many areas. If I cancel my cable bundle, my internet will almost double in price. This makes it pointless to cut the cord or buy an IPTV service. On top of this, it looks like the FCC will allow the cable companies to keep milking free money from antiquated cable boxes for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully 5G will start to shake things up.

dan lebatards show is completely unlistenable. he never talks about sports, it's social issues only, and if someone in sports is involved in a social issue then he'll touch on it. fucking shitshow.
They all are. I'm not saying I'm ultra conservative but what they do is at crazy. All the whole "Boston is racist...oh we were just making jokes" crap is stupid.

Had an Amazon Fire TV on order but cancelled it. Why? The current box has been out since December 2015. That's basically a year and 4 months. I can wait a few months for a refresh. The biggest problem with the Fire TV seems to be the remote breaking or the box dying just after the warranty is up (1 year). This is a case where it's probably best to buy the insurance for $10.

My Sony stereo (blue ray) has an Amazon Streaming App. Laurie watched a movie on it last night and everything worked perfectly, no buffering. That's because I have two Ethernet cables running from the computer room to the TV. If you're looking to cord cut, you'll want to order an HD Antenna, and see if you can run two Ethernet cables (one for your set top box, one for the blue ray or gaming system), otherwise the signal goes over Wi-Fi.

On Comcast, my slowest speed internet (Performance) is $65 a month and that will have no taxes. It's 25mbps down and 5 up. For most streaming set top boxes, they say the minimum is between 10-12.

The $50 Fire Tablet (7 inch) is working. There is some delay when processing commands (loading) but for a $50 tablet, it's good. There's books, movies, and music for free using Prime. They still try to up sell unlimited subscriptions and movies you have to pay for (rent). You can go on the Amazon web site, browse free titles, "buy" them for 0.00, and they will load to the tablet a few minutes later. This could be cool for a flight, load up the tablet with content, and watch it in the air.

But yes, the only thing you're not getting is live sports, and honestly, I don't miss it that much. NFL will be on the major networks OTA and all my major channels are coming in crystal clear.

Last edited:
people would pay if it was reasonably priced. its not. they've done enough nickel and diming over the years to creep the price up to where its no longer worth it.

This.

Cable TV is finished. It's just a matter of the folks that are too lazy to switch away from it to Netflix and other streaming services to either die or finally say enough is enough.

The problem with Comcast and the rest is that their strategies have always necessitated price increases, likely to keep stockholders happy. Granted, Netflix and others don't have to pay the amortized cost of building the cable infrastructure, but with something like 25% marketshare, I can't imagine that it costs Comcast remotely close to $80/month/subscriber to provide internet, and $200+ for TV on top of that. All they do is constantly try to figure out the max they can charge before people will leave by constantly adjusting pricing against their churn rate.

This shit is pretty clear with Google FI, for example -- I was paying like $80/month just for service on Verizon Wireless (most basic plan). Switched to FI and that dropped to $40/month, for frankly better service. With a new phone on top of that, it's still only like $65/month.

These dinosaur cable companies are too used to charging whatever they want. I'd love to see more competition get into the market to correct the insane pricing.

It’s ridiculous that cable lines are a monopoly. It should be like when the phone company had to allow other providers on their lines.

Prime example of gov’t not helping out the average Joe due to big money lobbying from the cable companies.

Back