Knife sharpening question

people need to remember that skysnipe is the kid who spent years training in an airsoft militia wannabe group and was denied entry to the army because he couldnt even finish HS without being kept back 2 years

oil the stone and use a 21o angle, or as close as possible

put the knife on the stone at 90o, and look at the angle

half of that is 45o

half of that is 22.5o

do it that way

So as you all know, I got this knife.

I have a sharpening stone and I don't know thing one about sharpening.

I just watched a random video on Youtube and it says you have to dip the stone in water before sharpening. Is this true? What will happen if I don't wet it?

if its just a wetstone, you can spit on it or use something like 3-in-1 oil

its to help for lubrication so you're not grinding on metal with a dry stone.

you just leave the fucking knife alone because you're just going to ruin its edge if you don't know what you're doing

i want to get one of these
P051129095050474.jpg

but surpisingly enough no chain stores like target or wallmart near me have em... im gonna have to go to a kitchen store :/

Took me a while to learn to use my steel properly. Now that I can do it well my knives are sharp as fuck. Totally worth learning. Hit a store in a mall that specializes in kitchen stuff they will have them.

well we're allowed to own and carry knives so maybe we get to call the stone whatever the fuck we like, you ankle grabbing limey

we're allowed to carry knives all we want, just not concealed

although they do dick people around a bit and charge people with 'going to a place of crime whilst in posession of a deadly instrument'

edit: it was famously parodied in 'jingo' by a policeman arresting 2 armies for said charge

It's still called a whetstone in America, but we're working on making the official change to "wetstone" just to piss you off.

Well I watched a few Youtube videos and tried it out myself, I'm sure I did it a little wrong and scraped up the sides a little, but it is a lot sharper now than it was so all in all it was a job well done.

I have a kit that my gramps had, and i have yet to actually try to use it. Its not just a stone its a clamp with various rods that sharpen the knife. one day i'll get bored and find out how to use it.

oil stone, water stone, diamond stone........................WHICH ONE IS IT?

a friend of mine swears by glass and sandpaper

i want to get one of these
P051129095050474.jpg

but surpisingly enough no chain stores like target or wallmart near me have em... im gonna have to go to a kitchen store :/

depending on the hardness of the steel of the knife, those can do more harm than good.

Back