Tribes 3

pocketgamer said:
The only reason you even want to believe that is because it's in your best interest.

It would be easier to up the graphics in T2C and re-release it then it would be to fix T:V.

Your opinion is fucking retarded. Tribes Vengeance is not dead, as long as their is atleast one server of people playing. Wich there is. So untill that stops, I am not going to buy into this "OMGZ LETS REBUIL DTRIBES " bullshit.

If you seriously are that pationate? Make a fucking mod for T:V .

People HAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEED T2, but all was well with T2C, or whatever.

People dont really HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE T:V , we are just alittle annoyed by certain small things. There is a definate fix on the horizon, by us or them. It will happen. Till then, shut your hole.

pocketgamer said:
Yeah T:V was a mistake the second they chose the UT engine as a base.

But guys .. . I don't want this thread to become what every other thread has come. I want to get past the step of denial/crying and move onto a solution that does not include T:V.

It's funny how one of the most successful engines out there right now you are calling a mistake. As I figure it *thinking of UT2k4* I wouldn't have seen a problem with choosing such an engine. You keep forgetting, T:V is a fucking gorgeous game.

pocketgamer said:
My point was no one single person can decide the direction T3 needs to go. I would vote Zod, but even he may screw something up. In a vote, I may lose on some of my things, but they will all be minor things, T1 game play, and feel will still be preserved no matter how bad the vote goes for me. From there, mutators can separate the new, large community into smaller groups, making more people happy. T2C was great for a decent amount of time, but once T:V came out, we lost a lot of the competitive community. We are getting some of it back, but at this point it is past the point of no return. It's time for a Tribes 3 so we can add a good amount of people to our community so competition can have new teams, and so I will have an updated Tribes game to play for another 6 or 7 years until we get another Tribes game going. Repeat until Tribes becomes obsolete, but for now next gen will do nothing to make it obsolete, so we have at least 7 more years to enjoy another sequel is one is made.

So let me get this straight. You don't own, play, or map T:V, but you spend a good deal of time bitching and festering over it. Now you are trying to get us to rally around your flag. With your expert guidance, we will all see the Tribal light. You are becoming our Messiah. Bless you. 7 more wonderful years. There will be some token voting to appease the unbelievers. Then you will unleash the Game of Games!

pocketgamer said:
Apparently you never learned how to deal with rockets? Rarely do I get taken down by a Rocket, but every once in a while I throw my flare wrong, I use a load out without flares, or I just don't have time. But those times are far and few between.

My point was no one single person can decide the direction T3 needs to go. I would vote Zod, but even he may screw something up. In a vote, I may lose on some of my things, but they will all be minor things, T1 game play, and feel will still be preserved no matter how bad the vote goes for me. From there, mutators can separate the new, large community into smaller groups, making more people happy. T2C was great for a decent amount of time, but once T:V came out, we lost a lot of the competitive community. We are getting some of it back, but at this point it is past the point of no return. It's time for a Tribes 3 so we can add a good amount of people to our community so competition can have new teams, and so I will have an updated Tribes game to play for another 6 or 7 years until we get another Tribes game going. Repeat until Tribes becomes obsolete, but for now next gen will do nothing to make it obsolete, so we have at least 7 more years to enjoy another sequel is one is made.

Yeah, I never learned how to deal with rockets. I wasn't good enough to throw flares. You have to hit "g" or something to do that right? Anyway, I'm prolly not as skilled as you so sorry bout the rocket thing.

Anyway, you are delusional to think that you're "MAGICAL VOTE" will trigger some rich guy somewhere in the US to throw three hundred thousand dollars to your "ELECTED LEADaR," who will then proceed to build a developement team and make the greatest Tribes game evAr.

I mean, are you seriously thinking this post will erupt into a game? Maybe you need to realize that it takes a ton of time, money, and effort to make a game. Do you see anyone jumping up willing to donate those things?

You should be applauding thrax for making T:V, cus it's a whole lot more then you've done. I got my money's worth playing T:V, I enjoyed the shit out of it for several months. What have you done that justifies you bashing the living crap out of him?

Stage01 said:
It's funny how one of the most successful engines out there right now you are calling a mistake. As I figure it *thinking of UT2k4* I wouldn't have seen a problem with choosing such an engine. You keep forgetting, T:V is a fucking gorgeous game.

Ditto

Stage01 said:
Your opinion is fucking retarded. Tribes Vengeance is not dead, as long as their is atleast one server of people playing. Wich there is. So untill that stops, I am not going to buy into this "OMGZ LETS REBUIL DTRIBES " bullshit.

People HAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEED T2, but all was well with T2C, or whatever.

People dont really HAAAAAAAAAAAAATE T:V , we are just alittle annoyed by certain small things. There is a definate fix on the horizon, by us or them. It will happen. Till then, shut your hole.

T:V competition is dead. Even T2C competition has been on it's deathbed, as it's always the same teams playing eachother at this point.

Stage01 said:

Yeah the engine is great for some games.

But the netcode sucks, and the engine can't handle what Tribes needs.

It can't handle the way a person moves in Tribes. It can't handle the outdoor maps that we are use to. Therefore it's not the right engine for the job. T:V in no way feels anything like T1, or T2. That is a mistake when making a game within a series.

The Pumpkin King said:
Yeah, I never learned how to deal with rockets. I wasn't good enough to throw flares. You have to hit "g" or something to do that right? Anyway, I'm prolly not as skilled as you so sorry bout the rocket thing.

Anyway, you are delusional to think that you're "MAGICAL VOTE" will trigger some rich guy somewhere in the US to throw three hundred thousand dollars to your "ELECTED LEADaR," who will then proceed to build a developement team and make the greatest Tribes game evAr.

I mean, are you seriously thinking this post will erupt into a game? Maybe you need to realize that it takes a ton of time, money, and effort to make a game. Do you see anyone jumping up willing to donate those things?

You should be applauding thrax for making T:V, cus it's a whole lot more then you've done. I got my money's worth playing T:V, I enjoyed the shit out of it for several months. What have you done that justifies you bashing the living crap out of him?

Yeah Thrax has done a whole lot more then me. He, with a team of morons single handedly ruined the Tribes name, and most of the communities hope for a sequel.

You know what, now that I think of it, I'm glad I haven’t done as much as Thrax. Thrax didn't do us a favor with T:V.

If you know how to use your flares, then why do you have such a problem with them being able to lock onto you? You have yet to explain what your real pet peeve is with the rockets.

This is just one small battle. I expected to lose it before I ever typed my first word in this thread. I knew Thrax and his gang would roll in, just like you guys have in every other thread trying to move beyond T:V, and bring everything back to T:V, as if T:V was more then just a piece of crap that shouldn't have ever happened. I just know that if I keep at it, more and more people will join in. If I made this post a month after T:V, everyone and their Uncle would be in here telling me off. Now we are down to just a few people. Once you people are gone, there is nothing that stands in our way.

The Pumpkin King said:
Hahahahahahaha. Yeah, but don't stop there. Give PanamaJack Auto-Lock rockets ala T2, give him Auto-MA locking discs and an auto destroy button that pwns people when he sees them in his screen.

Missiles were EASY to avoid if you knew what you were doing. They only targeted players when the heat from their jetpack got over, what was it 50... 60%. As soon as you heard the missile targetting or missile incoming sound you could stop jetting. If your jetpack cooled down enough the missile lost the lock. It was a very LOGICAL and REALISTIC design for the missile launcher. Heck, players were even able to make the missile avoid them by being quick on the movement keys.

Missiles were so damned easy to avoid in T2 they were almost useless in a player vs player instance. About the only time they really worked against another player is if they were so involved in a shootout they ignored the missile sounds. I know there were times I missed hearing the sounds and that's why I wrote a script that popped up a flashing sign saying a missile was incoming.

The only thing missiles were good for is against vehicles and that was problematic as it was possible to outrun them in the shrike.

Hell it took great skill to take anyone out with a rocket if the person was even halfway aware of what was going on around them.

Last edited:
pocketgamer said:
Yeah Thrax has done a whole lot more then me. He, with a team of morons single handedly ruined the Tribes name, and most of the communities hope for a sequel.

You know what, now that I think of it, I'm glad I haven’t done as much as Thrax. Thrax didn't do us a favor with T:V.

If you know how to use your flares, then why do you have such a problem with them being able to lock onto you? You have yet to explain what your real pet peeve is with the rockets.

This is just one small battle. I expected to lose it before I ever typed my first word in this thread. I knew Thrax and his gang would roll in, just like you guys have in every other thread trying to move beyond T:V, and bring everything back to T:V, as if T:V was more then just a piece of crap that shouldn't have ever happened. I just know that if I keep at it, more and more people will join in. If I made this post a month after T:V, everyone and their Uncle would be in here telling me off. Now we are down to just a few people. Once you people are gone, there is nothing that stands in our way.

Dude, you are sooooooooo sooooo far from the truth.

I have a problem with rockets because they take no skill to use and make me carry flares which means I can't have grenades which are fun. Thus the rocket launcher removes fun and skill from the game.

Second, you lumping me in "Thrax's crew of T:V fanboys" is a joke. I said I enjoyed T:V a lot for the several months I played it and got my money's worth, I didn't say the game was god. I am most certainly a T1 fanboy.

You say that I am "Standing in your way". Standing in your way of what? Your precious rejuvination of the tribes genre? You think I don't want that to happen? I just know you won't do it.

I find it very telling that some lanky college student on the other end of the internet's post making fun of you is preventing you from your "HUGE REJUVINATION OF TRIBES YAY!!!" How hardcore are you if my stupid post blocks such a bold movement?

Third, say what you want about thrax, but I played his game and enjoyed it for the short period of time it lasted. Meaning, he gave me 3 months, and many others who played it longer and harder than me a fun game that they could enjoy. This is a positive. He took nothing away from you. He may have fell short of creating the "best game ever," but guess what? So have you, and so have 99% of all people that have ever attempted to make a game.

You're talking down to people that have done more for us then you have. At least thrax and KP listened and talked to us on the forums and stuff and were very nice when they did so. Qix fed us LIES and nothing but LIES, and when the game came out he ran away like a scared little school girl.

Towards my end days in T2 i used medium with missles all the time. Even if people threw flares at close distances they'd get hit for a good amount of splash damage.

Celios said:
The best bet this community has right now is either a) retreating back into T1 and T2 (which has been happening in pretty large numbers lately, from what I've seen),

Don't you find it odd that right after the master servers came back the numbers magically tripled? So late and Gspy reporting 731 players. A peek in the in-game browser tells the story. http://img187.exs.cx/img187/6590/truf4xe.jpg Thats unless the Thieves server can handle 255 players and the LoF server is really Uber.

Nothings changed really. Tribalwar has a lot of members very few of which play any Tribes. If half of them did there would be a lot more than 1500 players for the whole series combined.

Stage01 said:

god. are u dumb or something? the few passionate players of t:v are a joke number wise. twl is losing clans nearly weekly. and guess what, no new clans join up for them. playercount at peak times comes to 400 mostly.
t:v in europe is abolutely dead and with dead i mean NOONE plays it anymore. you maybe get 1 server with 16 people on it at peak times.

you are a joke, dissing someone who wants to keep playing tribes and wants to do something about it (as unrealisitc as it may be). and urself sir is so fucking blind to see when a game failed. you know, tribes had playercounts above 2000 before t:v. so i guess its safe to say that the majority dont like it. (hate is wrong, they just stopped caring about t:v and moved on or hope for a mod. but certainly for the new mech game on torque and not on the sissy "gorgeous" but completly unsuitable unreal engine which doesnt even allow CARVING.)

pocketgamer said:
My point was no one single person can decide the direction T3 needs to go. I would vote Zod,

Didnt he make classic... I dont want him making t3...

We could do this... maybe using starsiege 2845... make a full game mod?

Last edited:
pocketgamer said:
Whaa .. . .. Most people held onto their money when T:V came out. So they still have that $50 ready to go for a real Tribes game. Why would I join in on a game like T:V when I can play with just as many people in T2C, the game I like?
People didn't "hold onto their money", they spent it on HL2 and WoW (the two biggest PC game releases ever). Consumers are only willing to spend so much money (whatever that amount is, I have no idea).

Think of it. How many teenagers can talk their parents into spending not only $50 dollars on HL2, but another $40 on Wow (plus monthly costs), and then another $50 (it's release price) on TV.... just so they can watch their kid waste his childhood playing games? Not many. And as far as older people, we have bills. I already spent a ton of money uprgading my PC, I'm definitely not going out and buying 3/4 games all within a week or two.

VUG is solely reponsible for the failure of TV. They picked a piss-poor release time period, and now we're stuck with this unsupported piece of shit. They should've pushed the release date another 4 or 5 months (give time for people to save money), so that they could fix this crap version of Tribes (demos, demo screen, tourneymode, anti-cheat, repeating sounds bug, performance issues, gameplay problems, etc).

There is no advantage to playing T:V unless you prefer its gameplay, which I do not, and apparently many, many others don't either.
I've played all three in the series and even just about every mod that came out in all three. I actually prefer the TV styling of movement. What I mean by that... is the dueling style. It's much more fast and furious. It feels like it's a properly blended Quake + Tribes first-person-shooter.

The things I don't like... are as follows:

"on button press" skiing, lack of carving, disc-jumps (the djs in TV are horrid, and don't give me that "IT'S NOT T1/T2!1" crap, because you don't see Quake3 nerfing the ability to RL-jump), grapple is overpowered and removes too much skill that used to be required to cap efficiently in T1/T2, shieldpack is extremely overpowered, vehicles are pure newbie shit straight out of UT2k4, maps are too confined (OOB issue as well), bases are too easy to rape (with idiotic small entrances most of the time), the new invo system, the piss-poor balance between map sides (and more importantly, the damn bases being different), the lack of options concerning the demo screen (no delete, rename, etc), lack of unique GUIDs (this is a MAJOR issue), etc

I'm mad that T:V came out because it hurt our chances of getting a 3rd Tribes game.
As I said... blame VUG for the poorly thought-out release date.

I only can hope that the community can get together someday in the next few years and get the support for a 3rd Tribes game.
I doubt it :\

Hopefully, VUG recognizes it's extreme error, and puts the time/effort/money into continuing this series. Heck, maybe I'll be out of Game Dev school and can get on the dev team :D (yea yea, wishful thinking)

Last edited:
[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Missiles were EASY to avoid if you knew what you were doing. They only targeted players when the heat from their jetpack got over, what was it 50... 60%. As soon as you heard the missile targetting or missile incoming sound you could stop jetting. If your jetpack cooled down enough the missile lost the lock. It was a very LOGICAL and REALISTIC design for the missile launcher. Heck, players were even able to make the missile avoid them by being quick on the movement keys.

Missiles were so damned easy to avoid in T2 they were almost useless in a player vs player instance. About the only time they really worked against another player is if they were so involved in a shootout they ignored the missile sounds. I know there were times I missed hearing the sounds and that's why I wrote a script that popped up a flashing sign saying a missile was incoming.

The only thing missiles were good for is against vehicles and that was problematic as it was possible to outrun them in the shrike.

Hell it took great skill to take anyone out with a rocket if the person was even halfway aware of what was going on around them.

Wow, what was I thinking... Heat seaking missles are totally sweet!

PJ is a fing idiot retard for saying all of that. And to think, I thought he might have changed his retarded ways... wow.

The auto tracking T2 rocket launcher is an excellent example of what newbs love and what vets hate. The only problem is guess which ones there are more of and which ones would be able to forge a new community and take this franchise to the next level. Also some rich guy that is willing to bankroll the next great ultimate tribes? Sounds like a job for Dread!

Vir said:
The auto tracking T2 rocket launcher is an excellent example of what newbs love and what vets hate. The only problem is guess which ones there are more of and which ones would be able to forge a new community and take this franchise to the next level. Also some rich guy that is willing to bankroll the next great ultimate tribes? Sounds like a job for Dread!

:D :D :D :D

I hope you beat me too it... It's gonna take me a long ass time to raise the cash.

Back