Guild Wars 2

I think it's in early closed Beta. Rumor is that they'll be starting invites for the public in a few months.

Looks awesome, but not innovative.

That word gets thrown around way too much, particularly with MMOs.

MMOs don't even need to innovate to improve the genre though...they can use 10 year old mechanics and it'd be better than the theme park shit that dominates now :lol:

Last edited:
Getting rid of the holy trinity and making every class able to heal and res (in combat) is pretty damn innovative. The "Fight for your life" mechanic from Left for Dead in an MMO is also pretty original.

Class synergy via skill combinations (Firewall + Arrows fired through = Fire Arrows, Healing Ground Target + Projectiles fired through it = Splash healing around the target) is innovative.

Combat that changes underwater with skills completely different skills available to mobs and players, along with no breath meter and areas designed for exploration...that's pretty innovative.

What they're doing with open world events isn't innovative, but it is evolutionary. You fail an event, it doesn't mean it stops. It just means another different event starts up as a result.

Active combat with dodging that matters along with on the fly weapon/skill switching has been done before, but not well. I'm hoping they refine it to something fun.

What they're planning with PvP isn't innovative, but again evolutionary. I'm just thankful a developer realizes the importance of have 3 sides in open world PvP. Hell, even Mythic forgot that lesson from DAOC.

It has plenty of innovation, but you're right in a way. It's the evolution of the genre more than a "revolution", but for fuck's sake the genre needs to move somewhere.

im back. saw bubbles come out of the turd, love that. anyways this game looks gay, i've never played a mmo in my life and will not start with this one. thank you for your discussions. i make haste to another thread.

Getting rid of the holy trinity and making every class able to heal and res (in combat) is pretty damn innovative.

Removing class roles is more homogenization, less interesting. I'd rather see more roles than complete removal of them. I liked guild wars for the 8 skill system, multi-classing, and the absence of laggy circle-strafing bullshit that WoW has. GW2 is actually looking more like WoW than GW1 was.

Class synergy via skill combinations (Firewall + Arrows fired through = Fire Arrows, Healing Ground Target + Projectiles fired through it = Splash healing around the target) is innovative.

Lots of RPGs try to do this and it always ends up being insignificant (see: Dragon Age). The only game to do it right is Magicka, which isn't an RPG.

im kind of excited to see what gw2 is going to be like

but it will be a while before we get to real innovation in mmos (and other games). keeping games accessible to as many people as possible is probably a likely reason that true innovation doesnt take place, because devs/publishers are afraid that they will lose sales if it doesnt go over. that and there is probably a resources issue that computers are just being able to meet as far as better ai and engines are concerned.

im arguing with myself if I want to be a neco and have a shitton of minions following around or an engineer plopping turrets down

That's one thing I think this game absolutely looks to have over SWTOR...the classes look so much more cool and they have some awesome looking abilities.

I'm sure engi will be really popular but I'm still going to have to play it for the fucking rocket jump. Looks like a blast.

Back