Next Generation Xbox - May 21st

yeah dat's right Eggi you shut yo mouf

don't step to me boi

edit: nvm was thinking web browser hah
i was like who the fuck would ever use an in game web browser

i dont even remember steam providing server browser functionality (have they ever done this?), i just remember it forcing you to load games through there and the friends list never fucking working so you'd have to im ppl over icq with the server you were on and shit like that

steam basically became the in-game server browser, there was some integration at some point and if you wanted to join a server you were basically using Steam to do so. I think they also tried to handle updates with it

iirc

edit: nvm was thinking web browser hah
i was like who the fuck would ever use an in game web browser

i dont even remember steam providing server browser functionality, i just remember it forcing you to load games through there and the friends list never fucking working so you'd have to im ppl over icq with the server you were on and shit like that
Steam was specifically designed in the first place to replace Valve's in-game server browsers and provide a proper version maintenance system. All the purchasing and DRM came later.

Before then you'd only realise you needed to update when you tried to join a server and got kicked out, and then had to go trawl some mirror sites for the patch and manually install it. Good times.

Interestingly, Tribes 2 had a similar process built in to handle its patching. Except the patch checking servers would sometimes go down and stop you from playing your game at all LOL.

^ yeah what that guy said

to bring us back to my original point, fuck this 20 year old kid and his ignorant boner for microsoft

As for those supposed steps forward, the PS3 can already automatically download system and game updates even while the console is turned off. It can even turn itself on if any updates are available and download them overnight.

That seems counterintuitive. Didn't know the PS3 did that, though.

steam basically became the in-game server browser, there was some integration at some point and if you wanted to join a server you were basically using Steam to do so. I think they also tried to handle updates with it

iirc

steam let you join servers your friends were on via the friends list, except the friends list was broken for like 2 yrs so it was completely pointless.

i honestly dont recall them offering server browsers via the UI, you still had to load the game and use the in game browser to select a server...do they do this for any game now? I guess Ive played games with matchmaking or in-game browsers that you have to use for so long i dont even know if they ever did or still do offer server browser funcionality for any games.

I'm sure that's how you felt about Steam's DRM and no used sales too at first.

Perry_Ryan1.JPG

I know because I was 10 years old at the time

Not mad, just making sure everyone knows how much of an idiot you are and how you're talking out of your ass

you're also probably ugly, a nerd and a virgin

but that's for another day

Steam was specifically designed in the first place to replace Valve's in-game server browsers and provide a proper version maintenance system. All the purchasing and DRM came later.

Before then you'd only realise you needed to update when you tried to join a server and got kicked out, and then had to go trawl some mirror sites for the patch and manually install it. Good times.

Interestingly, Tribes 2 had a similar process built in to handle its patching. Except the patch checking servers would sometimes go down and stop you from playing your game at all LOL.

yeah, i guess i just dont remember being able to browse game servers from the steam UI for valve games...i havent played css in forever, and you have to use the extremely shitty in-game lobby system for l4d/l4d2, likewise for portal 2.

in conclusion: Steam was shitty and buggy for the first 2 yrs, obibun has horrible memory, and xbone sounds like its going to suck

my memory was actually like 100% accurate, and confirmed by Legend, so fuck yourself old man

I am in the prime of my youthful vigor

given how you fail to remember anything about Steam I'd say your memory is the one that's slipping

amirite

no one's saying it wasn't buggy and a huge shift in the beginning, by all means. but it was a free service first, not a sales platform

microsoft has forgotten about the service part

also you didn't hate it at first because it was logically a stupid idea, you hated it because it was buggy and broke a lot

same reason the 360 is still successful, it may have been a fuckfest at first but it was a good product

people are hating xbone because it sounds like a shitty goddamned way to offer a product, not because they're afraid it's going to be buggy for the first year and then it'll all work out after

xbone is going to fuck people from the start and keep fucking them for the duration

im not arguing about xbone bro, im arguing about your shitty memory of ppl liking steam when it came out

gg

I never said people liked Steam

I said it wasn't shit

in fact I specifically stated nerds will rage about any small adjustment in their lives because they're idiot loser nerds

if nerds didn't hate on Steam, it wasn't doing it right

xbone's entire "experience" just sounds like shit. in theory it's not even a good system for content delivery, with the rampant DRM, no used sales and 24 hour check-ins. even ideally it still sounds mediocre to shitty at best, and this is supposed to be the revolution in consoles

i honestly dont recall them offering server browsers via the UI, you still had to load the game and use the in game browser to select a server...do they do this for any game now?
Steam has master servers available and a server browser in the Steam client for any game that uses Steamworks to handle servers. Developers are free to use the Steamworks API to display the server browser in-game too.

Back