Faction Change

RedSpider

Veteran XX
World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Faction-Change Service in the Works

We wanted to give everyone a very early heads-up that, in response to player requests, we’re developing a new service for World of Warcraft that will allow players to change their faction from Alliance to Horde or Horde to Alliance. There’s still much work to do and many details to iron out, but the basic idea is that players will be able to use the service to transform an existing character into a roughly equivalent character of the opposing faction on the same realm. Players who ended up creating and leveling up characters on the opposite factions from their friends have been asking for this type of functionality for some time, and we’re pleased to be getting closer to being able to deliver it.

As with all of the features and services we offer, we intend to incorporate the faction-change service in a way that won’t disrupt the gameplay experience on the realms, and there will be some rules involved with when and how the service can be used. The number of variables involved increases the complexity of implementing this service, but we plan to take the time needed to ensure that it lives up to expectations before officially rolling it out. We’ll go into much more detail on all of this here at World of Warcraft Community Site as development progresses. In the meantime, we wanted to let you know that because this type of functionality requires extensive internal testing well in advance of release, you may be seeing bits and pieces of the service in the test builds we use for the public test realms moving forward.
What.

This about seals the deal for me. Not renewing this shit.

How many more fucking automated services can Blizz cheat people with, seriously?

Can I get a paid class change now? Or a paid race change?

The only way this service will be cool is if you can maintain your race--like you could be an alliance cow warrior or something. But that will never happen.

Absolutely terrible.

I mean I think transfers in the first place are a terrible fucking idea because it just promotes the instant gratification and laziness that are hallmarks of the WoW community. No one wants to stick around and try to improve things when they can just press 3 fucking buttons and get carried without having to be accountable for anything. This is just another avenue for this to happen. It's really not even a fucking MMO anymore.

What's really going to suck is the fact that anyone who considers him/herself a serious PvPer who plays a class that is capable of being human is going to be fucking human. Cannot wait for that.

I guess if you play on a server with lots of people and a balanced population and on a good BGroup it's not a big deal, but if you play on a smaller server with an unbalanced population, it's basically a big "fuck you"

Last edited:
i imagine this is gonna take a long time. look how buggy dual spec was, and how long it took for them to first release it. when you do a faction change, there's a shit load of things that will have to be reworked. reputations, achievements, all your flightpaths, quests, tons of things

This about seals the deal for me. Not renewing this shit.

How many more fucking automated services can Blizz cheat people with, seriously?

Can I get a paid class change now? Or a paid race change?

The only way this service will be cool is if you can maintain your race--like you could be an alliance cow warrior or something. But that will never happen.

Absolutely terrible.

I don't see a paid class change, but MAYBE a paid race change. this service is, in a round about way, a paid race change. I imagine they'll put an X month restriction on this service similar to player transfers. so if anonyone is going to use this as a race change service, it's going to be wait time, x2. They could also put in the restriction that when you move back to your original faction, you have to switch back to that race.

but like they said, they have a lot of fleshing out to do. This will help for those that have "abandoned" chars on other servers that they used to play on a different server as another faction until they joined friends on another server.

A friend of mine, his brother is one of those wow addicts and he was going to reroll horde as BE pally i believe (he's currently a human pally), since they are "such an OP combo" is what he said. so now, he'll just have to wait for this service to make the switch.

The only problem i really see is the hardcore pvper's doing this to switch to the best race/class combo when they originally rolled something they think inferior currently :p.

Hopefully though, this can be free for "out of whack" ratio servers and offered up free to the higher % faction in an effort to balance them out.

They should force everyone to be Trolls or spacegoats so it's not a highly desired investment. I think it'll be nice, most arena fags will go alliance for racials and there's a lot of good alliance people that will hopefully make the change and go horde for a change of pace.

I wonder how they'll handle things like mounts and factions, but I suppose if you want a faction change badly enough you won't care about that shit.

I don't see a paid class change, but MAYBE a paid race change. this service is, in a round about way, a paid race change. I imagine they'll put an X month restriction on this service similar to player transfers. so if anonyone is going to use this as a race change service, it's going to be wait time, x2. They could also put in the restriction that when you move back to your original faction, you have to switch back to that race.

but like they said, they have a lot of fleshing out to do. This will help for those that have "abandoned" chars on other servers that they used to play on a different server as another faction until they joined friends on another server.

A friend of mine, his brother is one of those wow addicts and he was going to reroll horde as BE pally i believe (he's currently a human pally), since they are "such an OP combo" is what he said. so now, he'll just have to wait for this service to make the switch.

The only problem i really see is the hardcore pvper's doing this to switch to the best race/class combo when they originally rolled something they think inferior currently :p.

Hopefully though, this can be free for "out of whack" ratio servers and offered up free to the higher % faction in an effort to balance them out.
Yeah, ideally they'll block transfers from low pop faction to high pop faction if it's like a 3-1 ratio like on my server.

I'd like to assume they'll do that, but they could lose some potential transfers (and money) doing that so who knows...

I have a couple toons I wouldn't mind switching over and trasnfering off server, I just hope the prices are reasonable.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is how it'll effect battlegroup queues and the ratio of A:H on my server in particular, if this service becomes popular. The Alliance side on my server outnumbers the Horde by a pretty large number and while I doubt the more well established guilds would ever want to migrate to Alliance, there's still that small chance.

Either way, I'm excited for it. I have a Mage and Warlock wasting away

It will probably be limited to as such...

Human <-> Orc
Dwarf <-> Troll
Gnome <-> Tauren
Night Elf <-> Undead
Draenei <-> Blood Elf

Still think it's silly now anyway, but not really surprised I figured they would do a paid class change before faction change.

Last edited:

Human <-> Orc
Dwarf <-> Troll
Gnome <-> Tauren
Night Elf <-> Undead
Draenei <-> Blood Elf

Still think it's silly now anyway, but not really surprised I figured they would do a paid class change before faction change.
To speculate at this point in time is pointless. Also, considering Gnome's can't be druids your Tauren -- Gnome theory is already flawed.

Human <-> Orc
Dwarf <-> Troll
Gnome <-> Tauren
Night Elf <-> Undead
Draenei <-> Blood Elf

Are you serious? There is absolutely no way for that to work

Human Shaman
Human Hunter
Orc Priest
Dwarf Shaman
Dwarf Mage
Gnome Shaman
Gnome Driud
Gnome Hunter
Tauren Rogue
Night Elf Warlock
Night Elf Mage
Undead Druid
Draenei Rogue
Draenei Warlock
Blood Elf Shaman
Blood Elf Warrior

What else am I missing?

The only thing that is for certain is every horde shaman will be a draenei, and every alliance paladin will be a blood elf, as well as night elf and tauren druids switching places. The rest will most likely be left up to personal preference given the race is compatible with what the player chooses

Last edited:

Human <-> Orc
Dwarf <-> Troll
Gnome <-> Tauren
Night Elf <-> Undead
Draenei <-> Blood Elf

:lol:

Are you serious? There is absolutely no way for that to work

Technically it works now to a lesser degree, the thing usually goes by the name the orb of deception. Given the implied laziness that seems to be inbound with 3.2 it stands to reason they may simply use the same logic (and part of the code possibly) to make the change.

I mean how else would you plan to do it? You let any player of any race pick any other race and it gets messy on a few levels.

Right, because the Orb of Deception trinket is permanent when used

You don't even actually change the faction you're associated with when you use it. How can you even begin to compare the two as a compelling argument?

Last edited:
Back