Making Gold [Part II]

I went ahead to test a few places RamataKahn quoted from http://www.richlemongal.com/worldofwarcraft/worldofwarcraftgold.htm

I'm testing on a lvl 60 warlock. My hour stats are from Titan bar. I seek a solid pace with minimal/no downtime (i.e. just cuz you can blast 2 mobs a minute doesnt mean you can keep that pace if you must take 20-30s downtime and waste $/time on food/water). I also try to account for standard repair costs in figuring out hourly cash.

It's important to stick to accurate raw cash accounts, then acknowledge all potential secondary revenue uncluding nearby herbs and ore. It's silly to presume that you will make the "ultimate" cash from the best potential rare drops cuz that's obviously not the pace you'll keep. You also need to keep in mind that you cant always flood the AH with the same crap day in and day out. Most trade items have somewhat of a daily and weekly cap in terms of the microeconomics of the AH.

Then there is the ultimate, the Wetlands zone. On the east side of the map leading to and near Grim Batol are level 58-60 dragonkin elites. Some of these guys drop up to FORTY-FIVE (45!!!) silver on kill! My paladin dps sucks too much to make this worth while but any dps class will love this place. It's also virtually uncamped. Just watch out for the named elite dragons that roam but they are *very* easy to avoid since they're so big, walk so slow, and you can pull your mobs away from his patrol path and not get agro. This area can potentially make you 45-80 World Of Warcraft Gold an hour.

I tested this one and it's just ok.

3-5g cash an hour grinding non-stop on a warlock, kiling 1 per minute or two.

There are several types of dragonkin and imo most do not drop much cash at all for 59 elites. The squishy Wyrmkin seem to drop the most, but i've seen nothing outside 5-22s and usually a bit on the lower end. I've seen nothing but cash and am not a skinner on this char. This might be worth it if you are a skinner and red dragonscales sell well.

These guys are easy as fuck to kill, btw (i was killing them in a min flat, taking my time on a lock). I cant think of any weaker 58/59 elites in the game. However, it i wanted to grind elites for $$$ then i'd likely go grind giants and hederine demons in winterspring due to the drops and same about of raw cash flow. Although the respawn rate seems to be akin to normal mobs and dependent on zone activity. It's incredibly low respawn rate for me during testing (none respawned after i killed about 10-12 and got half-way through the valley when they all repopped again... at same time)

This is not 45-80g an hour by any means, although i cannot account for skinning revenue potential. They die really, really easy. These might as well not be elites, so you could skin them VERY fast. Red dragonscales is what they are really worth. For elite dragons at this level, it might be a good skinning target. I don't know. But the cash itself is average.

You can farm Alterac Mountain ruins Ogre elites for easy, quick cash (located in middle of the map). THey are level 37-40. They drop a moderate amount of greens and once every 110th kill a blue item will drop, potions every 15th kill, and about 3-10 silver each kill. Don't forget to go inside the unbroken buildings because a named Ogre Elite resides in each one. Watch out for mel'gore the miser wandering patrol. I easily earned 40 World Of Warcraft Gold an hour.

37-39 elites. I was killing solid 2 a minute (total pace with no downtime). 5g an hour raw cash. Period.

Some greens dropped, 35-39 range. Grave moss, wintersbite and some bruiseweed are right there, for herbalists. Some iron for miners. There are no blues on most of these mobs, just check thottbot and alakhazam. You'd need to grind the named for that, which is fine (these are easy kills).

You get more silk than mageweave, but it definately adds up. 9-10s per mage on my server, about 2-3s per silk. There is a limit to how much silk you can sell a day/week, however.

In sum, this is ok if you have a special silk market you are after or if there's a hot 39 twink scene on your server and tons of alts. You'll get many silk stacks along with greens and perhaps some blues if you farm inside the quest building (which could get you reported for griefing, i suspect, if folks are trying to quest there).

This is sorta like SM GY in many ways and a quick jog from the alterac valley entrance or chillwind. Lots of greens and silk on top of 5g an hour cash. That's all.

You can farm furlbogs in southern map of Felwood for 1-3 pieces of mageweave every 3.5th kill. About 40 npcs in the area. Easily can make 100 mageweave an hour and 9 World of warcraft gold an hour off coin drops, for a total of 20-27 World Of Warcraft gold an hour.

48-49 mobs. Around 4g cash per hour. Maybe 100 mageweave an hour.

Timbermaw reputation is a perk (5 per kill). Mithril, Groms, arthas and a little dreamfoil are available in this little village area.

Downside is that this is heavy group hostile area for players around 50. You'll regularly have competition for a small # of mobs as well as packs of angry questers. Not much in terms of greens and blues can be expended.

You can farm warpwoods and deadwoods (funny, walking tree treant guys) for 2-10 silver, rare herb drops that sell for 1-5 World Of Warcraft Gold EACH, major healing potions (sells for 1-1.5 World Of Warcraft Gold each on my server), and Living Essences (sells for 8-14 World Of Warcraft Gold EACH on AH!). The warpwoods are located on the north side of Felwood zone near the alliance flight path person. The deadwoods are located just southwest of where the warpwoods are. I made an easy 40-80 World Of Warcraft Gold an hour depending on AH prices with my 60 PALADIN. If you have any other faster dps class, you can EASILY get DOUBLE the World Of Warcraft Gold per hour I got (I should've rolled a different class.... *cries*).

Maybe 3-4g an hour depending on how quiet it is.

Savage fronds for Argent quests (perhaps 30-40 an hour). Some blues and other world drops pop here (47-50 range i think). These guys also drop ghost mushrooms, heart of the wild and stuff like that. Living essences are always good but it appears to be about 1-2% drop rate (figure 1 an hour). They also drop occassional heal pots ftw.

Dreamfoil, mountain silversage, groms and plaguebloom spawn here.

Major downside is that this is a heavily farmed area (were 4 others on the irontrees while i tested, not to mention 2 kiling water guys). You are competing with other farms and potentially in a retarded pvp spot (the graveyard is just a few feet away)

It's hard to say how much you can make here. It really depends on all the drops and your professions.

Last edited:
I was lazy getting down the green levels for various mats, but I guess I'll throw it out here for people lazier than I am or ones who don't install Enchantrix. People think this is mandatory but I'm sure there's people out there that try to keep a "tight ship" on addons and such for performance purposes.

Dust

Strange - Lvl 5 - 20
Soul - Lvl 21 - 30
Vision - Lvl 31 - 40
Dream - Lvl 41 - 50
Illusion - Lvl 51 - 60

Essence

Magic - Lvl 5 - 20
Astral - Lvl 21 - 30
Mystic - Lvl 31 - 40
Nether - Lvl 41 - 50
Eternal - Lvl 51 - 60

Shards

Glimmering - Lvl 11 - 25
Glowing - Lvl 26 - 35
Radiant - Lvl 36 - 45
Brilliant - Lvl 46 - 60

Obviously the closer to the higher end of the tier the better chance to get mass-dust, large essenses, and large shards. And obviously blues will net you small/large shards and Nexus Crystals I assume are from lvl 60 epics. Considering how many greens people say they can get farming the spots mentioned I'm sure you can sell enchanting mats from the shittier greens. Hell no deposit on them so why not? I'm still waiting for Blizzard to implement that though.

ahh, good point.

Here's the info i hate, broken by 5s

Dust and Essence:
Generally the dust is from armor and the essence is from weapons, though it can randomly be anything.

Level 01-10: A little strange dust/lesser magic essence.
Level 11-15: Much strange dust/greater magic essence.
Level 16-20: Much strange dust/lesser astral essence.
Level 21-25: Little soul dust/greater astral essence.
Level 26-30: Much soul dust/lesser mystic essence.
Level 31-35: Little vision dust/greater mystic essence.
Level 36-40: Much vision dust/lesser nether essence.
Level 41-45: Little dream dust/greater nether essence.
Level 46-50: Much dream dust/lesser eternal essence.
Level 51-55: Little illusion dust/greater eternal essence.
Level 56-60: Much illusion dust/greater eternal essence

Shards:
Shards come from blue or purple items (they can come from greens, but don't count on it).

Level 01-20: Small glimmering.
Level 21-25: Large glimmering.
Level 26-30: Small glowing.
Level 31-35: Large glowing.
Level 36-40: Small radiant.
Level 41-45: Large radiant.
Level 46-50: Small brilliant.

You can go into ZG with 3-5 man group (depending on the classes) and make alot of $$ clearing trash for coins & Bijous.

Yeah, I've always had to grind out money for everything I've had to buy in WoW, never been lucky with drops. I want to learn the whole Auction House game, are there any good tutorials on this? I've DL'd the auctioneer mod, but not real sure how to get started.

I was tearing through the lower Felwood Furbolgs from where you start their faction to neutral and got about 16 stacks of mageweave + raw cash + random greens.

Sold all but 1 stack on the AH for 2g each.

They need to buff more items.... I made 200g+ off of wolfrunner shoes.

I know alot of people who after making about 500-1000g get richer and richer by just cornering the market on items. You'll get some hate tells, but you can make huge profit margins.

Someone mentioned strat sm above, and it is doable 2 man. It will take a few runs to get the hang of it but once you do, it's 30-45 minutes a run with a few guaranteed blues and atleast one orb.

You will need decent gear for this, typical setup is Priest + Warrior. The priest is going to need a couple stacks of water, and your warrior will need stronghold gaunts or something to keep from getting disarmed. Skeleton packs are easy, try to avoid cleaving the ghosts, pull back to your previous pull always. More than one ghoul can mess up your day. Shackle pull one of the elites if you're having issues. Do not fight the aboms. Trap is easy with a warrior or if you have nova. When you get to the SM part, put on your disarm immune gear. Healer needs to stay back away from the defenders/guardians so you don't get shield slammed into oblivion. You'll get punted, but punted is better than silenced. Kill the summoners/initiates first. Hamstring so runners don't get friends. Timmy is pretty easy, just make sure the healer knows he can hit for a ton of damage. Inside, just keep pulling to the previous room to avoid runners/adds. Bypass willy. Kill the shadow priests first once inside for they mana burn. Have the priest equip their pvp trinket against the mages as you'll get poly'd atleast once during those pulls. This is where you start cranking through mana because the holy dmg debuff will begin to make you have dispel and spam heal. AFAIK, you can't do the end boss because he bugs out when the healer gets MC'd.

Friend of mine does this in about 30-45 minutes, you'll get about 15-30 skeletal parts, more runecloth than you know what to do with, plus the better random drops and boe blues. Big money maker is splitting the orbs. I'm still getting the hang of it with a GM warrior friend of mine. We did ok, but biggest thing is safe pulling.

ive been doing the auctioneering and enchant mat selling, working out pretty good. Made like 40gold over the weekend

I have tried that, but I usually only do full stacks. I only really make it on full stacks of greater essence, mostly Mystic, Nether, and Eternal. Dust is pretty iffy and I haven't tried the small handful of shards I have.

Though my main is a 300 skinner/leatherworker, so when I get enough leather I make stuff of various levels for DEing.

I have tried that, but I usually only do full stacks. I only really make it on full stacks of greater essence, mostly Mystic, Nether, and Eternal. Dust is pretty iffy and I haven't tried the small handful of shards I have.

Though my main is a 300 skinner/leatherworker, so when I get enough leather I make stuff of various levels for DEing.

just got home from work and rebought all the shit and set up all new auctions. I gave this guy like 12 gold to start on saturday night and im at 55g in bag with all my auctions going. Seems like its working out soo far, i just wish Dunemaul had more stuff for me to buy

I gave my bag alt 50g to try the enchanting thing with. He also sold off the rest of my CC rep items, which should net me a good 1-200 when it's all gone. Hopefully it works out, but the first few scans I've tried haven't been promising. Most net returns are only 30-40% and the best luck I've had so far is getting some nether essences which sell for a decent price.

My server is pretty well established and because of twinking most items get gobbled up for ridiculous prices.

So....

Is the general rule that the best market are the mystic, nether and eternal essences?

I tried playing that market a long time ago and never stuck with it. I'd love to play it again (i have an alt for DE, unfortunately). Ideally, i'd find a specific level range to work in, but i suspect that there are a lot of people who've solidified the market thus far.

Lookin at my little chart more carefully, i noticed finally that Greater Nether has a very narrow 5 lvl range, as does Greater Mystic. I'm going to start exploring the market on these lvl 31-45 essences and see how it does.

Last edited:
The problem with the enchanting market has and always will be that everyone and their mother can DE. When I first hit 60, I was one of a handful of people who could DE in raids. Now everyone DE's or atleast has an alt who can. The market ends up being saturated with Shards and Dusts. Essences typically sell better just because the drops that create them are more rare.

I didn't really bother with enchanting after 300, it just didn't make any sense to try. The only way to truly make money is to get your hands on a few choice recipes like spell power.

The same thing is happening with mooncloth, bottomless bags bounced the market back up, but prices have gone down to the point where some weeks I can't get a transmute in because felcloth outprices mooncloth.

I think there is still a decent market in transmuting essences, but I could be mistaken.

I think there is still a decent market in transmuting essences, but I could be mistaken.

I used to make a solid revenue doing water --> air but the essence market has become very strange in the past months. I am not sure why (i think drop rates changed and the demands have shifted, but i havent caught up to why).

It's telling that currently in felwood you'll see twice as many people farming the tree elementals as you do the water elementals. Times have changed...

The prices are very annoying, as Air dropped dramatically and the overall supply of essences has increased across the board with lots of idiots flooding cheap goods. I guess i also did a lot of the air trading before silithus grinding happened, so that's prolly why. There are still opportunities there, tho.

I'm currently thinking about getting the Earth --> Water transmute and seeing if that isnt bad. Transmutes are great if you can get 4-5g a day just on those.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have ot check Deathwing AH, because I faintly remember seeing a very low supply of certain lvl greens. Which I thought was odd at the time but seeing Tse's litte chart makes me think there's some people who are trying to "corner" certain markets by snapping up the greens for DEing and buying out all the rest.

Also I found a very random scattering os Vision Dust. People selling 1 - 3 at stupidly low prices. And there's always SOMEONE who sells all their blues/purples on AH for like 999g, regardless of what it is.

Back