[Hurt Locker] Producers sue tens of thousands of piraters

RC

Veteran XX
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100512/1151229395.shtml

from the putting-your-fans-in-the-hurt-locker dept
Apparently, the producers of the Oscar-winning movie Hurt Locker haven't paid attention to what's happened on the internet over the past decade. Despite the massive levels of backlash against the RIAA for its "sue consumers" strategy, the folks behind Hurt Locker are preparing to sue tens of thousands of people for unauthorized file sharing of the movie. Apparently, they've signed up with the relatively new operation US Copyright Group, that is trying to copy the strategy used by ACS:Law and Davenport Lyons in the UK, where they send out thousands upon thousands of "pre-settlement" offers to get people to pay up. This process has lead to condemnation from politicians (who have called it a scam) and lawyers being barred from practice and being disciplined by regulatory boards.

But, apparently, that's of no concern to Hurt Locker's producers, or to Thomas Dunlap, the lawyer behind this scorched earth sue 'em all campaign. They may learn -- quite quickly -- about the backlash suing your biggest fans can cause. It's hard to think of a strategic move that will make things worse than this particular move. Have they not noticed what happened to Metallica after that band tried to sue its fans? Lots of people were interested in the movie after it won the Oscar, and plenty of people have been renting it. Yes, lots of people have been downloading it and sharing it as well, but that's not going to stop one way or the other. But in attacking people who want to watch your movie not just with legal threats, but with a full on lawsuit is ridiculous on any level. I actually had Hurt Locker in my rental queue, but there's no way I'm renting it now. I have no desire to support movie makers who would go to such ridiculous lengths for no good reason.

In the meantime, Dunlap and US Copyright Group are now claiming that 75% of ISPs have "cooperated fully." That's a very different story than we heard back in March -- at which time only one ISP had cooperated, and others seemed pretty skeptical. In fact, in that original case, the fact that ISPs cooperated was even more questionable after it came to light that the copyright in question was not registered in time. If it's true that most ISPs are cooperating and handing over IP address info, based on such sketchy proof, that would be a dangerous precedent. What happened to ISPs insisting they would never just hand over such information?

So..are we all going to get a bill?

i pirated that movie and never finished watching it

bored the fuck out of me, lasted til about the 70th minute then called it a day

i should sue them for wasting my bandwidth and time, who the fuck do they think they are

I bought on blu-ray before I'd ever seen it, because I'm not poor.

Last edited:
i pirated that movie and never finished watching it

bored the fuck out of me, lasted til about the 70th minute then called it a day

i should sue them for wasting my bandwidth and time, who the fuck do they think they are

man you're so edgy

Of course people are going to download a movie if you can get it for free in HD quicker then driving to the nearest best buy and waiting in line etc.

I think they need to attack torrent sites/people distributing the material.. not the people downloading the movie/spreading the word of the film. For example, I downloaded and watched the film, told my grandma about it, she then bought it.

unless they have logs of all the people who have dl'd that movie in the past few months (which is very fucking unlikely lol), they are going to have a lot of trouble finding who has downloaded the movie.

Though the uploaders, thats a different story

It sounds like a big bullshit attempt to scare people into sending in 4k or w.e. the settlement is. How the fuck are they gonna handle 30,000 cases with all the different ISPs involved in bit torrent files etc.

They did the same thing with Uwe Boll's Far cry, sending out bogus letters to thousands of people and hope some pay the 4k, and ignore the rest. (dont take this as counsel or some bullshit on paying just my oppinion).

they should know by now if people are downloading your copy written products, it will be copied over the internet.

It was a decent movie. Parts of it made me very uncomfortable. :(

I didn't understand the whole sniper scene with the Barrett, though.

Rented @ Redbox for ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR.

It was a decent movie. Parts of it made me very uncomfortable. :(

I didn't understand the whole sniper scene with the Barrett, though.

Rented @ Redbox for ONE AMERICAN DOLLAR.

women directors explains that sniper scene (and the shitty movie in general)

im gonna torrent this tonight out of spite and seed it 10:1

then i'm gonna tell everyone how horrible it is

Back