[Hurt Locker] Producers sue tens of thousands of piraters

I agree with Data, the current law of trying to punish people who download copyrighted material will never work. The reason being that it is nearly impossible to catch anything but a small handful of perpetrators. And even still, you can only link a downloaded file to a computer, but you can't really link it to the specific person who downloaded the file.

I think the solution is obvious. We are all aware of where to get pirated movies/games/apps. There dozens of major bit-torrent sites who get around the law by the nature of torrents. i.e. they aren't really hosting any copyrighted material. They are just hosting harmless torrent.

That is fucking bullshit. These sites should be fined/shutdown/blocked. End of story. If you host a torrent that seeds copyrighted material, you get fucked.

I don't think you can ever completely eliminate P2P. If Bit Torrent is suddenly and magically outlawed and all the supporting sites disappear, something else will take its place immediately -- there will be literally no interruption in media piracy. AND you're destroying the many legitimate, legal uses of BT in the process.

Most of the "scene" uses news groups, FYI.

I don't think you can ever completely eliminate P2P. If Bit Torrent is suddenly and magically outlawed and all the supporting sites disappear, something else will take its place immediately -- there will be literally no interruption in media piracy. AND you're destroying the many legitimate, legal uses of BT in the process.

well comcast just won in court about their ability to block p2p traffic.

so, yeah, it might be eliminated that way.

edit: more specificaly, the lack of the FCC's ability to stop comcast from blocking p2p traffic

tracing it is extremely easy. the block in the past was obtaining the records. those records exist, and are extremely detailed. your ISP is required by federal law to retain those records for 6 years (I believe its 6), and may keep them for even longer.

the idea that ISP's are now cooperating with people who want to bring suit against IP violators is funny/scary, but honestly its something we should have all expected.

you are not anonomous on the internet, no matter how hard you try. you can be tracked down, if the price of the tracking is worth it to the person who wants to track you.

as far as it being someone else using your computer... that may not matter. its still your computer. if the cops find drugs under the pasenger seat of your car, and noone else claims responsibilty, you're the one in trouble. its in your posesion.

That's not entirely true.

I can drive to the local McDonald's and download an entire album without ever leaving my car (free Wi-Fi).

There are plenty of ways to be anonymous on the Internet... if you care.

well comcast just won in court about their ability to block p2p traffic.

so, yeah, it might be eliminated that way.

edit: more specificaly, the lack of the FCC's ability to stop comcast from blocking p2p traffic

I saw that.

The FCC immediately re-classified ISPs and Internet service so it could continue enforcing its ability to tell Comcast to fuck off. :lol:

I saw that.

The FCC immediately re-classified ISPs and Internet service so it could continue enforcing its ability to tell Comcast to fuck off. :lol:

did they actually do that?

my understanding was it was under consideration. i didn't think they'd be able to do that without a legal battle??

That's not entirely true.

I can drive to the local McDonald's and download an entire album without ever leaving my car (free Wi-Fi).

There are plenty of ways to be anonymous on the Internet... if you care.

yeah - but when mcdonalds takes enough heat they'll reconsider how their wifi works.

it would be completely possible for them to record your information (using your driver's license), and the IP given to your computer, and the time you used it. they can then log the information. then you're not anonymous anymore.

they could also not allow p2p traffice, or whatever other way is used, or they could not provide wifi.

you're just shifting the focus, not stopping the problem. and for every way you come up with to be anonymous, there is a way that you can be found. again, its a question of how much money people want to spend tracking you down.

I don't see how that eliminates the legal uses of BT. All I am saying is hosting a torrent file that seeds copyrighted material should be treated the same as hosting copyrighted material. As in, none of this bullshit "I am not really hosting any copyrighted material on my webserver" loophole crapola.

yeah - but when mcdonalds takes enough heat they'll reconsider how their wifi works.

it would be completely possible for them to record your information (using your driver's license), and the IP given to your computer, and the time you used it. they can then log the information. then you're not anonymous anymore.

they could also not allow p2p traffice, or whatever other way is used, or they could not provide wifi.

you're just shifting the focus, not stopping the problem. and for every way you come up with to be anonymous, there is a way that you can be found. again, its a question of how much money people want to spend tracking you down.

On the Internet, it boils down to IP and MAC addresses, both of which can be spoofed, proxied, and changed at the discretion of the user. It's just a matter of how smart you are and how much anonymity you need. :p:

That movie was a piece of dogshit.

I wouldn't pay the single dollar it costs to rent it from Red Box.

Hey robr0 whats the difference in value between a pile of scrap metal and a car? If there is a difference, then where did that value come from? Can you hold that value in your hand, or is it the result of intellectual effort?

Is there a difference in value between a blank CD and CD with something burned on it?

The difference is, you can only steal a car once. Thousands of people can steal the movie at the same time. There is no physical 'thing' lost. The owner doesn't have 'less movie' if someone copies it, whereas the owner of the car definitely has 'less car' if you steal it.

AND you're destroying the many legitimate, legal uses of BT in the process.

Are you implying that there are illegitimate, illegal uses of BT? Because I remember you spouting your communist propaganda a few months ago arguing that sharing isn't stealing.

Are you implying that there are illegitimate, illegal uses of BT? Because I remember you spouting your communist propaganda a few months ago arguing that sharing isn't stealing.

Communist :lol:

Just the idea... :rofl:

Back