In this thread we discuss our favorite Looney Tunes characters.

Ben Reed

Veteran X
Mine would have to be Elmer Fudd.

Why?

Because the poor guy is an inherently tragic figure. He's a meek guy at heart, easily frustrated but almost completely ineffectual, both as a hunter and as an assertive human being. He gets angry, but he never acts on that anger, because he feels powerless.

His sexual frustration is also palpable, the way Bugs Bunny constantly toys with him in his perverted transvestite guises. Poor Elmer has never known love, what with his off-putting speech impediment and his shy nature. The poor guy seems like a real mama's boy, and a hopeless romantic, probably holding out against all hope for the perfect girl to just come his way. I'll bet the hunting/outdoorsman kinda veneer is just a sham to try and validate himself as a capable, aggressive man.

You can really see the frustrated romantic in him in "What's Opera, Doc?", with his visions of himself as the Wagnerian hero, the grand crusader for Germanic values, the epitome of power and virility, but who realizes too late that all he's really looking for is a little love in his life when he finally slays the wabbit.

If Elmer were a high-school age cartoon character today, he'd probably have shaggy emo-kid hair, black nail polish, and a propensity to cut himself. And maybe he'd shoot up the school to boot, he's certainly got the firepower for it.

...Poor Elmer. Looking back, I really do feel for the guy.

Thoughts?

bscap7.jpg

Stupid Tweety, embodying the privileged, materialistic elite...constantly toying with and reinforcing the desperation of working-class Sylvester. Someday that fatheaded little avian fuck will get what's coming to him.

As for Speedy, he was good people. I can see why the MExicans would be offended by the portrayal of Mexican characters AROUND him, but Speedy himself was a resourceful little guy, although he had an unfortunate tendency to victimize Sylvester.

Poor Wile E. was always caught up in the details of his various plots. He always insisted on doing stuff the hard way, just to say that he did it his way. Where a simple approach would probably have worked better, he had to go for flash, and it often literally blew up in his face.

I always liked the pacing of the Road Runner cartoons, still some of the greatest pacing known to animation. You start with the slow windup watching the dust trail on the horizon and it gradually accelerates as Wile E. springs his trap.

Back