What is the point of candlelight vigils/organized "sympathy".

Just wondering what exactly it does / accomplishes. I guess it is just different strokes for different folks but for me I would be with close friends/family if I it was someone close..

What is the point behind them though? It is somewhat callous but I don't exactly understand how going could help the situation at all or anything. Seems sort of like club fundraising in Highschools so they can have pizza parties or some big trip.

It's like some club is around and thinks "how can we show support and look good", lets organize some walk for aids or candlelight vigil that will raise insignificant funds.

Note: I am not saying they are bad and I completely understand them in Vtech area but why have one in say USC?

I hate the trendy events that follow disasters.. Changing your default facebook picture to the ribbon, joining all these dumb facebook groups, posting myspace bulletins saying you're going to pray.

Everyone feels the need to prove that they care. I don't like it, it's shallow.

It's a community thing. This disgusting incident strikes home with college students everywhere.

Some people find it helpful to know they're not the only one grieving.

I hate the trendy events that follow disasters.. Changing your default facebook picture to the ribbon, [strike]joining[/strike] inviting people to all these dumb facebook groups, posting myspace bulletins saying you're going to pray.

Everyone feels the need to prove that they care. I don't like it, it's shallow.

fixed

i think fireworks would be nicer than candles
more expensive too

nothing says 'we miss you' or 'that was the worst tragedy of its kind ever' like 45 mins of solid aerial bombs

Back