V for Vendetta question [SPOILER THREAD]

gabe

Veteran X
why did the end have all of the people who died, like mallory and the little girl with glasses who got shot? also, why did V want natalie portman to be the one to drive the train? it's not like he hadn't already indoctrinated her with all sorts of shit, it didn't really prove anything that he didn't do it himself.

1) Showing all the people who were killed by the government was symbolic of the spirit of the revolution living on.

2) He needed the train to hit at just the right time and he knew he was going to die before he could launch it. Plus she was the only person he trusted to do it (or the only person he even knew for that matter)

Jislan said:
1)

2) He needed the train to hit at just the right time and he knew he was going to die before he could launch it. Plus she was the only person he trusted to do it (or the only person he even knew for that matter)

why couldn't he just make it more of a time release and do it himself? he's fucking macgyver

maybe he wanted her to lead the new revolution, and allowing her to start the train would have furthered that agenda

at least, that's what i understood him to be saying shortly before he left her there

No. In his mind she was less warped than him, so he let her make the decision as someone who has a clearer sense of judgement.

I forgot to google my internal memory banks for the movie's dialogue. But yeah, it was pretty obvious he wanted her to make the choice as she represented the last and deciding domino in his scheme. It was her choice to either stop it or finish it. I was talking from a practical sense though, as it was pretty obvious he knew she'd do it.

he says it in the fucking movie

his era was that of revolution, her era is that of the new society, and it is her responsibility to decide if that is what is necessary, as he has already done all of the groundwork to bring them there

She was acting as his conscious

He didn't "let her" start the train, he gave her the free choice whether or not to do it.

Jislan said:
I forgot to google my internal memory banks for the movie's dialogue. But yeah, it was pretty obvious he wanted her to make the choice as she represented the last and deciding domino in his scheme. It was her choice to either stop it or finish it. I was talking from a practical sense though, as it was pretty obvious he knew she'd do it.
Yeah, and in the comic book it's the same -- he says that he's a destroyer, and that the world needs people like her, who care about life, to build it.

I was just angry that
Spoiler

doesn't anyone find it ironic that V wanted this "innocent, unbiased, person who is not a revolutionary like he is" to make the decision to start the train, when his entire philosophy was against that of INDOCTRINATION and INFLUENCE and promotion of FREE WILL???????

i mean come on, he told her all those stories, held her in a fucking prison cell for months, appeared to her as an intellectual, and took advantage of her background

no you fucking idiot, thats part of the symbolism. thats why when the mask is pulled off the v in the comedy skit, it turns out to be another image of sutler

Back