I wish to lodge a complaint against United Aerospace Corporation

El Mariachi

Veteran XV
Alright this bullshit has probably been said and done before but I just want to get my piece out there.

First of all, I don't know if you've been paying attention, but there's this thing called the International Space Station. Now, as far as I can tell from the photographs I've seen, the interior is lit pretty damn well and there isn't exposed metal all over the fucking place.

And Doom 3 takes place almost 200 years in the future.

I'm not even talking about during when all the bullshit happens in the game, I'm talking when you first arrive there. Its fucking dark as hell, and no labor body in their right mind would approve of those conditions.

See, Aliens had an excuse, the base is 'abandoned' and power is low- but even then there are fucking rooms where you can actually see shit.

So, in short, despite the great graphics, the look of the game is fucking lazy and draws on every fucking stereotype there is.

They explain at the beginning that the experiments and various 'marsquakes' cause the power to go out pretty often.

Chic0 said:
They explain at the beginning that the experiments and various 'marsquakes' cause the power to go out pretty often.

Regardless, the lighting when you arrive in the reception area is slightly brighter than when all hell breaks loose.

I can put up with the light going out. I can put up with having to use my flashlight every now and then. What I can't put up with is with 200 years in the future, companies have the laziest interior design that even the Black Mesa Research center can laugh at.

It's just a game. :p I personally don't mind the darkness very much as it adds to the environment. Tribes 2, however, drove me crazy with it's dark terrain and bases because it added nothing to the game.

Yes, the darkness adds to the aura of the game. It hasn't gotten on my nerves yet that enemies are hopping at me in the dark, because you can see them coming at you unless its pitch black darkness.

Its just the godawful lazy ass, cliche look of everything on the inside.

IN THE FUTURE, THERE WILL BE EXPOSED BULKHEADS!
IN THE FUTURE, THERE WILL BE RANDOM CABLES HANGING EVERYWHERE!
IN THE FUTURE, DESPITE QUANTUM LEAPS OF TECHNOLOGY, WE STILL CANNOT PUT MORE THAN ONE 60-WATT BULB IN EVERY FOUR ROOMS.

It's just a cheap way out. It's easy to make a game scary if you make it hard to see and have things jump out at you

El Mariachi said:
Regardless, the lighting when you arrive in the reception area is slightly brighter than when all hell breaks loose.

I can put up with the light going out. I can put up with having to use my flashlight every now and then. What I can't put up with is with 200 years in the future, companies have the laziest interior design that even the Black Mesa Research center can laugh at.

It wasnt for me, it was damn bright actually. Maybe you need to turn your gamma up?

Chic0 said:
It wasnt for me, it was damn bright actually. Maybe you need to turn your gamma up?

you can make your screen bright, but if the game is drawing black you won't actually see anything new

Aestis said:
It's just a cheap way out. It's easy to make a game scary if you make it hard to see and have things jump out at you

But it isn't all that scary, I mean you expect to shoot first and ask questions later- whats so scary about some dude being right behind a door you open, you know your first reaction is to blow his face off, so what's the fear in that?

Hell, its more scary when I accidentally blew the head off some scientist- because it was like "oh shit, I probably needed him for some plot device"

El Mariachi said:
But it isn't all that scary, I mean you expect to shoot first and ask questions later- whats so scary about some dude being right behind a door you open, you know your first reaction is to blow his face off, so what's the fear in that?

Hell, its more scary when I accidentally blew the head off some scientist- because it was like "oh shit, I probably needed him for some plot device"
I agree with you, it's not scary, it's just startling. The same thing goes for movies that get really quiet.... then suddenly the camera jerks and plays some loud startling sound when someone jumps out

Fool said:
Why does it take such a beefy computer to render black?

OMFG. :rofl: Sig material.

I don't know. The game just lacks depth beyond its startling scary factor. If they had made it like SS2 with an inventory and skills and multiple paths through the game and coop, it would've rocked. It also would have been SS3. But at least I'd still be playing it instead of letting the icon decorate my desktop.

Last edited:
Back