If you don't believe in the bible or Jesus......

It's an event.

My job takes the day off, presents are exchanged, we celebrate.

Not that we celbrate any Jesus crap, but the EVENT.

We don't have to think of it in any religous way. Just the EVENT it is.

Now, if the government wants to do away with Christmas, MLK, Easter, Jewish holidays, and other crap that adds up to nothing, thats fine with me.

Do away with Christmas, MLK, and Easter.

Last edited:
NaciMur said:
it's a commercialized holiday now

indeed.

We have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas, choosing instead to give thanks to some fictitious character while opening our gift-wrapped toasters.

And don't even get me started on Santa Claus....

Some actually use it to celebrate their hatred for Christ and religion in general...

Take the comments in this thread for example.

NoGodForMe said:
It's an event.

My job takes the day off, presents are exchanged, we celebrate.

Not that we celbrate any Jesus crap, but the EVENT.

We don't have to think of it in any religous way. Just the EVENT it is.

Now, if the government wants to do away with Christmas, MLK, Easter, Jewish holidays, and other crap that adds up to nothing, thats fine with me.

Do away with Christmas, MLK, and Easter.

Why would we get rid of MLK?

i don't 'celebrate' christmas as such, i don't go round saying 'thank fuck jesus was born today' or anything, but i buy gifts for people at christmas because its just....what you do at christmas :shrug:

Its a day off from work that I get to hang out with my family, eat lots of good food and generally have a great time. I could give a crap less about the bible or Jesus. :shrug:

I don't recall a bunny and chocolate eggs being mentioned in the Bible... yet this is what easter has become.

I don't believe Halloween started off as costumed children going door to door begging for candy, yet this is what Halloween has become.

Point being, regardless of a celebration days original purpose, they have a tendency to evolve beyond that purpose and represent an event unto themselves... as opposed to a day to celebrate an event.

Back