If you don't believe in the bible or Jesus......

It's more Saturnalia for me than anything else. Our Christmas tree is always decked out mostly with Halloween novelty lights more than standard Christmas lights anyway.

Why Saturnalia, you ask? Why not the winter solstice, like the pagan Druids? The answer is simple -- the Romans had far better orgies. The Romans were also bigger and meaner and I wouldn't fuck with them with a...thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot POLE! :browsmile

Magnox said:
If you are a Protestant....

Why is Santa (St. Nicholas) in your christmas celebrations :shrug:

Because Kris Kringle has the power of flight, and therefore is to be feared and given tribute by the mere mortals over whom he holds such intense power.

Thankfully, the fearsome old pseudo-god takes his tribute mainly in the form of milk and cookies rather than human sacrifice.

Last edited:
i don't celebrate it.

but it's a good excuse to give people presents and be nice. i couldn't care less what it means to someone else, but i'll be damned if i'm going to be an asshat and shit all over the joyful holidays like some people do.

Ben Reed said:
Because Kris Kringle has the power of flight, and therefore is to be feared and given tribute by the mere mortals over whom he holds such intense power.

Thankfully, the fearsome old pseudo-god takes his tribute mainly in the form of milk and cookies rather than human sacrifice.

Good points

Back