[ZOMG Politics] Bush gets his first concrete opposition... by a Republican

Sen. George Voinovich also reversed his prior stance against him and has said he supports him now.

I heard that stuff about him too and really did not like him. My point is that he is there doing the job now and I have heard no complaints about him. So what is the point in not letting him keep the job now.

Icey, there are people who are in ideological alignment with Bolton and the President with regards to the U.N. (a stance I agree with amazingly enough) that do no treat their employees like shit or have such a negative reputation. That's important for a diplomat.

I don't see the problem with him being appointed during a recess. Every president has done it at some point and if the dems were going to play dirty by blocking the vote then why couldn't the president fight back?

The arguments against bolton are pretty weak to say the least. This is nothing but a power grab.

The shrub bypassed congress because he knew the nomination would die otherwise.
Bolton is confrontational and 'does not get along well with others.'
Just the sort of person to represent us to the world.

He seems to be getting along with others well enough so far.

Along with Bolton's nomination, Bush said he would like to move forward on legislation to retroactively authorize the National Security Agency's domestic surveillance program

All this time Bush has been saying he already has the authority for NSA wiretaps; and Gonzalez says it's all legal .. so why need to seek authority from Congress?

Chafee is a liberal who stayed republican to reap the benefits of a majority in D.C. This is hardly any indication of any republican uprising, at least to anyone who keeps tabs on basic politics.

It was easy to say that sort of thing months ago, but now bolton has a UN track record that is quite good, so I don't think that argument is going to go anywhere.

Lincoln Chafee has said that he doesn't agree with the direction the Republican Party has gone. It isn't the same party that his father had served under, and is thinking of switching parties actually. He is also considered to be an extremely liberal Republican. So it is pretty obvious that he would do something like this. I'm glad he is though, so much for Bush wanting to work with Democrats.

And bad according to liberal extremists, so whats your point?

I think the word you are looking for is bad according to Moderates. Nancy Pelosie is a moderate, so is Harry Reed, and pretty much 97% of elected democrats in Washington. You're sense of what is extreme to the left is warped due to the fact that you sit so far to the right politically.

It was easy to say that sort of thing months ago, but now bolton has a UN track record that is quite good, so I don't think that argument is going to go anywhere.

Show me this, 'good track record.'
Nobody has called you to complain?

I think the word you are looking for is bad according to Moderates. Nancy Pelosie is a moderate, so is Harry Reed, and pretty much 97% of elected democrats in Washington. You're sense of what is extreme to the left is warped due to the fact that you sit so far to the right politically.

pelosi.... moderate..... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

He's done a pretty damn good job as ambassador so far. He's not bullying anybody and sat down with a bunch of other countries to get them on board regarding the Lebanon/Israel deal and the Iran situation. I fail to see why he should not get the full term nod.

:lol: no shit?

All this time Bush has been saying he already has the authority for NSA wiretaps; and Gonzalez says it's all legal .. so why need to seek authority from Congress?

The shrub has a guilty conscience?

He fucking knows what a balancing act the past six years have been and is scared of congressional oversight.

heh
heh
heh

BTW, they are going after Rumsfeld and several others in the Bush administration. They better not leave the country anytime soon.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1557842,00.html

Just days after his resignation, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is about to face more repercussions for his involvement in the troubled wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. New legal documents, to be filed next week with Germany's top prosecutor, will seek a criminal investigation and prosecution of Rumsfeld, along with Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, former CIA director George Tenet and other senior U.S. civilian and military officers, for their alleged roles in abuses committed at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison and at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The plaintiffs in the case include 11 Iraqis who were prisoners at Abu Ghraib, as well as Mohammad al-Qahtani, a Saudi held at Guantanamo, whom the U.S. has identified as the so-called "20th hijacker" and a would-be participant in the 9/11 hijackings. As TIME first reported in June 2005, Qahtani underwent a "special interrogation plan," personally approved by Rumsfeld, which the U.S. says produced valuable intelligence. But to obtain it, according to the log of his interrogation and government reports, Qahtani was subjected to forced nudity, sexual humiliation, religious humiliation, prolonged stress positions, sleep deprivation and other controversial interrogation techniques.

Back