[XPS 1530] Please provide feedback

[apoc]

Veteran X
Hi TW techies, please give feedback for this build.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
LCD AND CAMERA High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
HARD DRIVE Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0
FINGERPRINT SCANNER Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

Other stuff

3-Year Warranty + CompleteCare*

Cost: $1,443.00 with free shipping. Price is after $603 instant savings.

So TW, what do you think? Also, if you could either convince me to either get or skip the wireless-n card ($50 extra), that'd be great too. If you've had experience with the Dell Preferred Account business, I'd appreciate feedback for that too. I can pay for it all today, but I won't complain about paying it off over the next 12 months without penalty.

* I 100% agree that extended warranties are garbage. One day though, I busted an LCD screen on my HP. As you all probably already know, the screen is probably the most expensive item you could break. Since it was considered accidental damage, I certainly wasn't going to pay $700 for a new one. Long story short, they took forever (two months) to get it back to me, so I ended up getting it fixed for free. For that reason alone, I'm adding CompleteCare. Besides, after 3 years, I'm sure that something will be wrong with it that needs fixing.

I don't see how extended warranty is a bad thing on an item like a laptop. Everyone I know has had their laptop fail in some way or another, and since you are buying a low quality Dell having some cheap insurance is a smart move.

Upgrade the RAM yourself from Newegg. Get a 7200rpm drive, it will help load times big time. 1.4k for that seems a bit steep, am I missing some fantastic feature besides the LED display? You could've bought a laptop with a 8600M GT for probably a similiar price when 8600M GT was actually a good card.

The price is significantly more due to the warranty. On a side note, I received an email today (the day it was supposed to ship) that it has been delayed until 9/11. A quick call got me an upgraded sound card and overnight shipping. I tried to get a blue case too just for shits and giggles, but they said that it would cause a much longer delay. The reason for the delay is apparently supply-related. If you're waiting for an XPS, get in line. 24 days and counting.

Back