Xbox live has been charging me for the past 9 months on an expired credit card...

hastie

Veteran X
I get this email like every month and I agree that I was dumb for not checking into it. It states
We have recently attempted to charge your Gold – 1 Month service to the credit card on file for your account. Please accept this reminder that your credit card has passed its expiration date and needs to be updated. The following credit card is the current payment method on your billing account:

Credit card type: MC

Avoid an interruption of your subscription services by updating your credit card information.

To check pricing details, and to confirm your account information and payment options, go to: https://billing.microsoft.com

If you have already resolved this issue, please disregard this notice and accept our thanks.

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Services.

Xbox LIVE Team

After receiving this email for the first time and seeing the words "attempted" and "need", I was under the impression that my account would not be charged. But I just realized today that it has been charged every month for $9.99 even though my card was expired. I have not been using xbox live in any way since I figured my account was inactive. Gonna see if I can get any sort of refund, but we'll see... :(
and yes, I am an idiot for not actually cancelling my account and just implying that an expired credit card would suffice.

While you are lazy, usually a service is canceled if payment isn't received. That is fucking dumb.

essentially cc expiry dates are useless now

i went through this recently, my cc expired months ago but CAA (canadian version of AAA) was able to renew my membership on the expired card

called Visa and was told that anyone with a 'reoccurring payment' would be allowed to charge the expired cc. i was told this is because customers don't want their services disrupted by expiring cards.

I had only ever paid CAA once (1 year ago) so apparently only one previous charge is required before they can charge a dead CC

so really the expiry date is only applicable to stuff you've NEVER payed for before. if you've ever paid that company by cc before, they can still charge the expired cc and it will go through

She kept telling me she couldn't verify that I hadn't been using the service, but I could look at my profile and see that I hadn't played any games online since dark souls in 2011. Bullshit bullshit bullshit.
Ended up getting at least 2 of the 9 months refunded. when she at first said they couldn't do refunds, then later said they could only do 2 :ftard:

Peggy B: Hey there!
Peggy B: Thanks for contacting Xbox Customer Support!
Peggy B: How are you today?
Daniel: doing good
Peggy B: Great! Can I have a few moments to review your issue please?
Daniel: yes
Peggy B: Thanks Daniel! :)
Peggy B: I'm sorry to hear about the charges Daniel! You must still have an active membership on the account.
Daniel: i do
Daniel: apparently
Peggy B: Yes, that's why it kept charging. The bank paid the charges even though the card expired because the account number was still the same. The only change was the expiration date.
Peggy B: I will be more than happy to assist you with this issue. Let me pull up my information on this. During our chat. I will be researching a little, so my responses may be slightly delayed, but I am still here!
Daniel: Part of my concern is the email i was originally sent
Daniel: it stated "We have recently attempted to charge your Gold – 1 Month service to the credit card on file for your account. Please accept this reminder that your credit card has passed its expiration date and needs to be updated." Nowhere in the e-mail did it say that my expired credit card was actually charged. It in fact states that you "attempted" to charge my account and that I "need" to update my card. But both of these statements are apparently false. I took this to mean that my subscription was canceled until i updated my credit card, so I didn't bother to cancel my subscription.
Peggy B: Okay, so now they finally realized the card has expired. Wow.
Daniel: well, it expired in may 2012
Peggy B: Daniel, I can cancel the subscription if you like.
Peggy B: I understand.
Daniel: and i've been charged monthly since then
Daniel: That'd be great, but i'm more concerned about hte $89.91 I"ve been charged since my card expired
Daniel: especially since i haven't been using your service
Peggy B: Unfortunately Daniel, monthly subscriptions are non refundable. I wish you had contact us a long time ago.
Peggy B: The unfortunate part Daniel is that we don't know that you are not using the service. We have no way of knowing that.
Peggy B: Give me an opportunity to review your account.
Daniel: ok
Peggy B: Thanks! I'll see what I can do! :)
Daniel: how about this to show I haven't used it. In the activity list on my profile, the only two games I've played since 12/17/2011 were halo 4 and bioshock. Bioshock has no multiplayer, and my activity in halo 4 shows zero multiplayer achievements. you probably get a halo achievement just for playing a single multiplayer game
Peggy B: Daniel, we can't see that in our system. Trust me I believe you but unfortunately, we can't refund from back in May on a 30 day subscription. Again, they are non refundable. I do wish you had contacted us much sooner.
Daniel: you can't see that in your system, but anyone who views my public profile can see it?
Peggy B: We are unable to see when a customer uses their xbox.
Daniel: Well can i at least get a 9 months credit to xbox live or something, so that if i do plan on playing online, i can use the subscription that I've already paid for?
Peggy B: Daniel, unfortunately, our system is not set up that way.
Peggy B: We are unable to see what anyone does on an Xbox Console. Our system is set up for troubleshooting only.
Peggy B: Daniel, I have cancelled the subscription on your account and have refunded 2 months of the membership which is what the system allows. Again, 30 day subscriptions are non refundable.
Daniel: i guess that's better than nothing, but not what i was hoping for.
Daniel: but we can only do so much :D
Peggy B: Daniel, I know and trust me I totally understand. This is why I wish you had contacted us awhile back. You had to notice the money coming out of your account. I know where every penny of mine. :) I really wish I could do more.
Daniel: one thing you can do
Peggy B: Will try!
Daniel: instead of having the e-mail state that you "attempted" to charge our account, and that we "need to" update our card information.
Daniel: make it state that we will be charged anyway
Daniel: so that others don't make the mistake that I did.
Daniel: not your job, but hopefully it can get forwarded to someone
Peggy B: Daniel, the email comes from another location but this Chat is a record and it's duly noted. :)
Peggy B: Daniel, it will be seen. :)
Peggy B: Again, I'm so sorry and I do wish I could do more for you. Unfortunately, we are limited by the system.
Peggy B: Let me remove that old credit card as well, okay?
Daniel: sure
Peggy B: Oh I can't
Peggy B: You are getting a refund.
Daniel: i'll do it
Daniel: oh ok
Peggy B: Wait until after the refund. They will apply it to your correct accuont, okay.
Daniel: okay, thanks for doing what you could
Peggy B: You are so welcome Daniel! It was truly my pleasure!
Peggy B: You take care and have a wonderful evening! :)
Daniel: you too
Peggy B: Thanks! :)
Peggy B: Thanks for contacting Xbox Customer Support and have a great day!

that's ok, I just found out my unitil account that i opened up in 2006 for both gas and electric was coded at the higher commercial rate instead of a residential rate like it should of been. they seem to think it is no ones fault. mind you, nowhere on any of the bills is the word commercial, so we just never new, i just figured my bills were high because it is a 100 year old very poorly insulated house with an undersized furnace. they adjusted a year for the electric which gave us more than $1000 credit. havent got result from gas yet. next week i will be going to their head quarters to try to get adjusted all the way back to 2006. I hate the idea of using a lawyer, but it may come to that, at which point we will go for all the way back to 1995 when my late mother-in-law purchased the place (yes she was coded wrong too). apparently, they based the rate off the person she bought it from who used to rent rooms out every summer.

it's a bancorpsouth debit/mastercard

dont deal w/ xbox they will scam you

call up the mastercard and say you were fraudulently charged for those months past expiration

credit cards unlike debit cards will have more room to stop this type of thing but you will have to argue on this one since its not so clear cut

Can't verify i haven't been using xbox live??

4MrwHTGl.png

According to my profile on their website, since my card expired I've only played bioshock (single player only) and Halo 4 for less than a week (it came out on 11/6/12). it would be appreciated if they would at least try.

The only reason I'm not going to get my cc company involved is because it was partly my fault for not checking into why I kept getting those emails monthly. That and I'm like so fucking loaded I wipe my ass with other people's asses.

got a call today

some scum american has fraudulently withdrawn 800 dollars in cash advances on my card

now i get 2 sign some letter and wait 4 mastercard 2 refund my money

fuk

So why not call your card company and explain the situation to them instead? I mean this is borderline fraud in any case. Just tell them you were charged for a service that you never used and was under the impression had been terminated or canceled and that you want a refund.

The card company will issue the refund amount, and deal with Microsoft if/where applicable, then it's out of your hands.

Fair warning though, pulling this stunt may ultimately end up with you being blacklisted from Xbox Live, I say could because some game companies do that kind of stuff for those reasons.

If that doesn't work, keep going up in the food chain at Microsoft and see if you can't get some kind of credit to your account or something - companies are usually more willing to give away shit than they are giving your money back.

AMEX just sent me a letter in the mail telling me my CC# was recovered during a police investigation and to look out for any fraudulent charges

ummm gee thanks, how about give me a new #?

welcome to recurring billing. if your card is expired they will still attempt to run it just with different expiration dates to see if it takes.

if you attempt to file a chargeback on each of those charges you will probably lose each one then have to pay hundreds of dollars. can't tell you how many times ive seen someone attempt to file a chargeback only to lose to the merchant and then have to pay 100+ bucks for losing.

you are better off getting on the phone and working your way up to someone who has the authority to refund you.

Back