WW2 Eastern Front Documentaries?

oDDable

Veteran XX
Looking for something like Ken Burns' "The War" but for the battle on the eastern front. Has anyone seen anything like that?

Hoping for some sort of broad scope story of the thing.

how the fuck is this not covered by some documentary in english

i mean the single largest battlefront in history and motherfuckers can't even make a world class documentary in my language how the fuck

220px-Enemy_at_the_gates_ver2.jpg

I seem to recall the BBC had a pretty good documentary on it from the 90's. War of the Century: When Hitler Fought Stalin according to Google.

Better information in books, though.

Looking for something like Ken Burns' "The War" but for the battle on the eastern front. Has anyone seen anything like that?

Hoping for some sort of broad scope story of the thing.

yeah, gl with that...

the best thing would be for you to find the books written by the German Generals who fought on the Eastern Front such as

Erich von Manstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

Heinz Guderian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

then compare their stories with those of

Georgy Zhukov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10 years ago you could turn on the hitler channel err I mean the history channel and see an afternoon of this stuff, now its nothing but shitty pawn shop owners, lumberjacks and swamp people

I live in Russia and every May 9th it's all day WW2 victory documentaries and war documentaries. It is pretty cool to see all these documentaries about the Eastern front, never got to see any of it while living in US.

Not a documentary, but Dan Carlin/Hardcore History has a great podcast called Ghosts of the Ostfront, unfortunately it's in the archive so it's not free anymore, but it's definitely worth a purchase.

Dan Carlin - Podcasts, Merchandise, Blog, and Community Website

Hardcore history in general is awesome, lots of great podcasts available for free download. I really like his multi-part series, i.e. Ghosts of the Ostfront, Fall of the Republic, and Wrath of the Khans.

yeah it's not what you're looking for but does cover WWII from a soviet perspective.

the best movie I've ever watched covering Germans vs Soviets Come and See (1985) - IMDb you can find it on youtube *edit used to be up on youtube, but can't find it now.

This is about the worst movie in terms of any kind of accuracy. Sure, it's fine if you want to see a fairy tail good vs. evil movie.

If you want some actual historical movie, you can watch stalingrad (1993) or steiner.

This is about the worst movie in terms of any kind of accuracy. Sure, it's fine if you want to see a fairy tail good vs. evil movie.

If you want some actual historical movie, you can watch stalingrad (1993) or steiner.

Really? I mean it doesn't capture the scope and obviously not the true horrors committed by the Germans - few people would be able to watch it.

I think it captures the plight these Russian peasants went through, the village massacre is based on the real event, just reduced in scope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatyn_massacre

Oops got my massacres messed up

Kinda puts the whole good vs bad thing into perspective since both the Germans and Russians were sick fucks...which is why western media has failed to produce a good documentary on it since we like movies where its easy to tell the good guys from the bad guys. With your average westerner who doesn't care about history let alone something resembling a neutral viewpoint, no one is going to see it thus no one is going to produce it.

Last edited:
Katyn isn't Khatyn. Anyway, the majority of Soviet reports of supposed German atrocities are not reliable because it's now known that Soviet commandos used to blow up bridges and burn towns in German uniforms as per Stalin's orders. Germans didn't hurt PoWs like the Soviets or Americans did. Most of the twistory we get is total garbage and lies.

Back