[World Cup] Eric Wynalda, Please STFU!

KillerONE

Veteran X
I'm venting a bit, but good god he has to be the worst announcer, sports critic/reporter, whatever on TV.

Everytime he talks, it's some awkward mention or retarded statement. He's like that fat nerdy kid that tries to hang out with the cool kids, but has nothing of value to contribute.

I'm watching the France vs Korea game (TIVO'd) and both times he's chimed in, both Alexi and the other guy are like.. wow.. you're an idiot.

He's not too bad on MLS, he does talk a little too much and says some retarded things, but he seems VERY out of place covering the World Cup.

/end rant

Go USA!!

He's just not very professional, but I think at times he's hilarious.
Truthfully Alexi + Eric in studio is a pathetic team period.

But if the commentary is as bad as it is no reason to expect much from the studio show!

alexi lalas calling ronaldo 'a waste of space' is probly one of the most insulting things ive ever heard. its like lalas, when you win two time FIFA world player of the year THEN you can talk trash. btw ronaldo got a nice assist today he tried a bit harder

Spanish announcers are the best because you generally don't know when they say retarded shit, and they're drowned out by crowd noise most of the time. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Let Alexi insult fatty Ronaldo. Everybody else does, and maybe it'll one day make Ronaldo get the stomach stapling like Maradona did.

Last edited:
Wynalda is going to be the next US national team coach.

He also knows more about soccer than you ever will. And he's brutally honest.

I like him.

I like him. Not enough US announcers speak their minds during the games (Save Balboa), and plus he actually played at this stage, so when he speaks about soccer I tend to listen a little more than I would if someone else *cough* Mussberger *cough* was talking.

Laughed my ass off when he made the italian announcer do one of those hands together prayer lookin things. (You'd know what I'm talking about if you saw it).

Plus he beats the living shit out of Julie Foudy.

He knows soccer and does speak the truth, that has nothing to do with him looking like a complete retard. You expect some wit and smooth transitions from commentator to commentator. With Wynalda, it's been one awkward moment after another.

And I think he'd do 50 times better at coaching than he does at annoucing/commentating. So if he ends up doing that... the television networks will wish him well.

RenGen said:
He's just not very professional, but I think at times he's hilarious.
Truthfully Alexi + Eric in studio is a pathetic team period.

But if the commentary is as bad as it is no reason to expect much from the studio show!

Yea, that sums it up.

I initially wanted to strangle wyndalda but now i just think he's simply unprofessional and funny at times. His ego is way huge and he's emotionally involved in this team (for obvious reasons). He and Alexi are both a little off in that sense, although Alexi has a lot more sense in his commentary.

I actually think Wynalda makes some decent points and he CERTAINLY doesnt pull his punches... but sometimes they are cheap punches and unnecessary.

I'd gladly switch him out for just Julie Foudy + Alexi, then have smyth as top commentator along with his scottish buddy.

Julie knows her shit and is very professional.

Now... if only we could land a tactical nuke on Obrien and Balboa...

Last edited:
I dunno, I mean, the team has played pretty well up until the Czech game. People shouldn't base their judgement on one game.

US did pretty awesome, compared to past experience in 2002's World Cup.

We won the Concacaf this year, that's something. We played well in just about all of our friendlies. Hung with Italy and poised to make it out of the group.

If you look at Arena's history with the US team, it's pretty impressive compared to US's successes with other coaches.

:shrug: People are just mad over 1 loss (or beating, however you want to put it..) :)

I don't see Arena getting replaced any time soon, imo.

I'm all for the game against Brazil. Beating them would be a serious statement, losing to them would be a good learning experience.

Ptavv said:
Wynalda is going to be the next US national team coach.

He also knows more about soccer than you ever will. And he's brutally honest.

I like him.

... You stay saying that weird shit.

KillerONE said:
:shrug: People are just mad over 1 loss (or beating, however you want to put it..) :)
I don't see Arena getting replaced any time soon, imo.

Some people are being silly like that, others are genuinely baffled by his tactical decisions and player selection.

But honestly I think it's silly to blame Bruce given what he's working with. The fact is that it's clear as day to anyone watching the tournament that we still lack world-class talent. We have no "pure" finshers, or guys with that deadly attack mode, and we're probably worse on defense (though Gooch has potential if he can get into a better league and develop more.)

But if I had to knock him, I'd say -

Jimmy Conrad is not good enough
Taylor Twellman and possibly Santino Quaranta should be on the team
Brian McBride should never be the only attacking option
Beez should play on his side, or as a forward with no defensive responsibilities
Reyna isn't the rock you think he is

for starters

Ya, I'm all for Twellman to have made the team.

If anyone can "finish" it'd be him. It was a definate mistake not taking Twellman along. More than one attacking option is a must.

The other stuff you mentioned is debatable.

Back