Woohooo.. US moving down the ladder..

War

Veteran XX
Denmark 'Egypt's foe', says poll

There were violent protests around the Muslim world in February
Denmark is one of Egypt's worst enemies, second only after Israel, an Egyptian government poll has indicated.
The pollsters asked a random selection of 1,000 Egyptian adults their attitudes to different countries.

Israel was considered most hostile to Egypt, followed by Denmark, Britain and the United States - in that order.

Cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad sparked protests around the Muslim world earlier this year after they were first published in a Danish newspaper.

Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories, Sudan and Syria were considered most friendly to Egypt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6107160.stm

Most of the "new" Egyptians are not Egyptian, they're Arab.

EDIT: Islam also came to Egypt after the Arabs took over Egypt and, well, the rest went downhill from there.

A little known fact about how idiotic the Islamic government in Egypt was/is was back around the 1500s (iirc), an Islamic king wanted to smelt the silver lining on the pyramids and destroy them as he didn't want anything else in Egypt to rival the "glory" of the mosques. Of course, he failed with destroying the pyramids, but he did remove the silver lining.

A little known fact about how idiotic the Islamic government in Egypt was/is was back around the 1500s (iirc), an Islamic king wanted to smelt the silver lining on the pyramids and destroy them as he didn't want anything else in Egypt to rival the "glory" of the mosques. Of course, he failed with destroying the pyramids, but he did remove the silver lining.

Not that I support this kind of thing, but it's common. There were a lot of native American monumental structures like this one that were destroyed intentionally by the U.S. to hinder native nationalism, for instance.

Muslims don't have a monopoly on dumb.

I think the key difference is that the muslims haven't stopped.

That's just an absurd statement, besides the fact that Muslims preserved western civilization in the first place. Yes "Muslims" (I don't find that to be a useful label in this case either, it idndicates too many false positives) commit atrocities and destroy cultural icons sometimes, so do we. Baghdad's museums of antiquities were intact under Saddam, it took a US invasion to see that collection greatly looted. We have really lost the high ground so I don't see any value in throwing those kinds of accusations around unless we intend to actually live up to a higher standard.

That's just an absurd statement, besides the fact that Muslims preserved western civilization in the first place. Yes "Muslims" (I don't find that to be a useful label in this case either, it idndicates too many false positives) commit atrocities and destroy cultural icons sometimes, so do we. Baghdad's museums of antiquities were intact under Saddam, it took a US invasion to see that collection greatly looted. We have really lost the high ground so I don't see any value in throwing those kinds of accusations around unless we intend to actually live up to a higher standard.
So you're saying that because the U.S. invasion led to the looting of a museum, we as a culture are somehow on par with muslims in Afghanistan destroying some of the most priceless and significant archaeological artifacts in the world because they were buddhist?

I would dare you to find me a modern example of normal (i.e. not fanatical fuckups) westerners destroying cultural relics. It just isn't done.

whoa whoa. the so called 'historical antiques' were nothing more then propaganda for saddam. He would commision authors to make family trees of his that would directly link him to adam and eve. And those who did loot the museums? oh, those were native iraqis, not us troops. whoops.

By no means was I saying that anybody of islamic faith somehow is the epitomy of "dumb". I'm just saying what the Islamic government did to my culture's testament of their existance pisses me off. :-\

I have a lot of hatred for corrupt governments, and sadly, the Islamic faith has more than any other religion I know of. (Of course, I'm biased. Deal with it.)

Back