Wireless Router Issues (help please)

So, I picked up a new Linksys router in August, having had good, reliable performance from Linksys in my younger years. Had read a few reviews indicating that their quality may have declined recently, but disregarded them. Appears to have been a mistake. The wireless has been somewhat erratic and constantly drops packets-- I need an ethernet cable plugged in if I want to game or do coursework that requires a constant internet connection, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a router. Frustrating overall, and I feel like I put $50 down the drain.

So my question to TW is:
Is there anything I can do to try to fix this problem? And if not, what router(s) would people recommend that I replace mine with?

i like the asus RT series

^^ Yep good routers.

I would see what options you have in the menu on the Linksys. Sometimes you can disable mixed mode (B G or N only) and also set it to a static frequency so it doesn't jump around which can cause dropping.

Usually those don't let you muck with the gain unless you flash it with one of those custom images.

return that pos and get an asus

i will take my payment 4 solving ur issue in the form of rep ty god bless

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

So, I picked up a new Linksys router in August, having had good, reliable performance from Linksys in my younger years. Had read a few reviews indicating that their quality may have declined recently, but disregarded them. Appears to have been a mistake. The wireless has been somewhat erratic and constantly drops packets-- I need an ethernet cable plugged in if I want to game or do coursework that requires a constant internet connection, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a router. Frustrating overall, and I feel like I put $50 down the drain.

So my question to TW is:
Is there anything I can do to try to fix this problem? And if not, what router(s) would people recommend that I replace mine with?

My question is who is your ISP? I ask because we use the same router here that we use at the cabin and here we have to use AT&T Uverse and the wifi sucks. Yet at the cabin we use Comcast and we never have a problem with connectivity.

See if you can put DD-WRT on it. If they doesn't help then try to limit it to a single mode and channel.

Back