Windows won't boot, goes straight to HP Sys Recovery

Backslash

Veteran X
Thank in advance for any help.

When I turn my computer on it goes through the typical startup screens untill it get's to the point where it would normally show the windows boot loader. Instead it goes straight to HP System Recovery.

I have a basic boot disk and I've used to no avail. With it the computer skips the boot loader but goes to the Windows loading screen. (I thought I was saved the first time.) Then it prints "Autochk program not found - Skipping Autocheck".

Finally, it was working this morning before I restarted it, and I've made a few changes since the last restart.

1) Installed Partition Magic and Boot Magic.
I ran Partition Magic but did not make any changes. I ran Boot Magic twice. The first time turned it on, the second time I turned it off. Made no changes

2) Downloaded and installed Spybot - S&D and ran a system scan. Found some spyware, all tracking cookies, and deleted them.

Windows XP Home
AMD XP2800
768MB DDR
BIOS - American Megatrends v2.53
80GB HD
DVD-Rom
CD/RW

I'm at a loss, any help is appreciated. (I've already tried sandpaper)
Thanks

It wont show the windows boot loader so I don't have the option of safe mode. I pounded F8 anyhow but no dice. I can get into my BIOS though.

Turns out Boot Magic was the culprit. It had set my recovery partition to active and my user partition to hidden. Luckily I had a Knoppix live CD. Linux saved my ass.

Back