Windows 8.1 anyone get it yet?

ill wait for windows update to do it. im perfectly happy with windows 8 as it stands so im in no rush to try 8.1 before its officially released.

Installed it on my laptop (just the upgrade version) - so far I like the changes, I don't think it's the repackaged Windows 7 feel that some people are expecting but it has some neat stuff (Search is much better, I like having the tiny tiles).

http://preview.windows.com

did the whole update and then when it was all done it said it had failed and that it had restored from the backup it created before starting.

wtf

wimlek11.jpg

Went there Jodo. Can't seem to get it there. Do you have to have 8 installed? I am running on 7 right now.

Yeah I think you do - you download an update and then the actual update downloads from the Windows 8 store. I'm not sure of a great place to get the ISOs yet without having a subscription or something.

Neat I was wondering when they'd start pushing this out.

Am I right in thinking they now give you the option to turn off that retarded metro UI / start screen or whatever they call it? I know there are 3rd party options that do it but I haven't gotten around to doing that for my one PC with windows 8 on it

Neat I was wondering when they'd start pushing this out.

Am I right in thinking they now give you the option to turn off that retarded metro UI / start screen or whatever they call it? I know there are 3rd party options that do it but I haven't gotten around to doing that for my one PC with windows 8 on it

You can't turn it off, you can default to just going to the desktop though and there are a few things to allow you to make the metro screen appear more like a start menu of old, but it still isn't the same. If you hate Metro you'll probably still hate this, but it's definitely closer to 7 than it was.

I hope there's an option to not show the new start button. I don't need crap on my taskbar that I won't click. Better search is all I really want out of an update.

Back