Windows 10 tips & tricks

LouCypher

Veteran X
Download Windows 10

Some may say they're for a previous version of Windows but they're still applicable:
1363634964834815779.jpg

• Search for “Check for updates” in the Start menu.
  • Under “Windows Update” choose “Advanced options.”
  • Under “Choose how updates are installed” click “Choose how updates are delivered.”
  • Disable the toggle under “Updated from more than one place.”

This will prevent your computer from being used as a peer-to-peer server in distributing updates.

Last edited:
I had to reinstall Adobe Flash to get some of the plugins to work and to get video playback to stop being choppy on sites such as youtube etc...

the single issue i can't seem to get fixed is that i can't get steam overlays to show up.

obviously it's enabled in the settings, but a message pops up every time that says it's not enabled.

some dudes on other boards said they got their steam overlay issues fixed in win10 by running the beta steam client, but that didn't work either

Lou, what's the deal w/ your BIOS hacks to get Win7 activation as you've previously mentioned?

Is this a difficult thing to do?

Lou, what's the deal w/ your BIOS hacks to get Win7 activation as you've previously mentioned?

Is this a difficult thing to do?
An OEM like Dell adds a little bit of code (SLIC) to a BIOS. They all have a matching certificate (SLP).

The motherboards you buy won't have these tables, but with the right tools they can be added to an existing BIOS and flashed to your motherboard. Then you install Windows without entering a key, and after install follow a simple set of instructions to add the certificate and activate using one of the hundreds of OEM edition product keys. You can install any version of Windows Vista/7 with any SLIC/SLP provided they match, and activate with any OEM product key for that version (Ultimate, Home, etc.).

Just about every motherboard capable of running Windows Vista/7 has already been modified by someone on MDL. You can search for your motherboard make/model and probably find the most recent version of your BIOS and the certificate matching the table added.

It's basically the same trick loaders use, but they merely emulate the SLIC and are more easily disabled/detected.

It's not at all difficult to do, it's just a little more work if you're doing it to a system that isn't popular enough to have a BIOS modified already for you on MDL. I did the BIOS in my netbook using tools on their forum, but all my desktop systems I just found a version and flashed. They also take requests if it's too daunting a task.

An OEM like Dell adds a little bit of code (SLIC) to a BIOS. They all have a matching certificate (SLP).

The motherboards you buy won't have these tables, but with the right tools they can be added to an existing BIOS and flashed to your motherboard. Then you install Windows without entering a key, and after install follow a simple set of instructions to add the certificate and activate using one of the hundreds of OEM edition product keys. You can install any version of Windows Vista/7 with any SLIC/SLP provided they match, and activate with any OEM product key for that version (Ultimate, Home, etc.).

Just about every motherboard capable of running Windows Vista/7 has already been modified by someone on MDL. You can search for your motherboard make/model and probably find the most recent version of your BIOS and the certificate matching the table added.

It's basically the same trick loaders use, but they merely emulate the SLIC and are more easily disabled/detected.

It's not at all difficult to do, it's just a little more work if you're doing it to a system that isn't popular enough to have a BIOS modified already for you on MDL. I did the BIOS in my netbook using tools on their forum, but all my desktop systems I just found a version and flashed. They also take requests if it's too daunting a task.

Thanks for the links and info!

This sounds not TOO difficult.. I'm somewhat savvy w/ computers - built around ten of my own, install/configure software, small amt of overclocking - Is this BIOS trick something I should attempt, or is there a good chance I'll end up bricking my mobo?

Is this BIOS trick something I should attempt, or is there a good chance I'll end up bricking my mobo?
It's only as difficult/risky as flashing a BIOS. If you've done that before, the only thing you really have to worry about is power loss during a flash. Knowing where the reset jumper is on your motherboard wouldn't hurt either.

The modified BIOS on MDL usually come with the same instructions:
  1. Download the same version BIOS from manufacturer's website
  2. Flash the unmodified BIOS so ACPI tables are created properly
  3. Flash the modified BIOS with SLIC
I've always ignored the first two steps and just flashed the modified BIOS, which in most cases is an upgrade from whatever version the motherboard came with.

In some cases the modified version posted to MDL will be a beta or newer version I can't even find on the manufacturer's website, but that's never been a problem either because my motherboards (always Gigabyte) verify the image before flashing.

Yeah you fucking retard
Areas where Linux sucks dick:

Installers, Microsoft Office compatibility, multimedia, backup capabilities , drivers for peripherals, Graphics

Back