Why we enjoy competitive games...

NeotiK

Veteran XV
was just doing some reading and came across this quote again and thought i'd share:

During GDC '05 Will Wright spoke about player created content, and noted that player stories will always be more powerful than scripted stories we try to tell the players. I find this very important and the more we allow the gamers to make their own choices, and allow them a much broader interaction within the game itself, the more they'll feel immersed in the actual gameplay experience.

When I first heard this quote I finally found the explanation as to why I gravitated towards competitive gameplay community for years. It wasn't the gameplay, the graphics, or the physics. It was the stories/memories that came about from the competitive arenas with other players. From the outside looking into a competitive game (such as Tribes, UT, or even Halo) one doesn't see the same attraction as the players that are already engrossed into the game. It was the community drama, underdog stories, upsets, triumphes, team history that was built up from a player's/team's experience in the competitive arena, and being able to tell and share those stories with others in the community.

Essentially, my love for Tribes wasn't because of the 'gameplay' it possessed or the 'skill' that was required to play. These aspects helped me get initiated into a story that spanned my competitive stint in Tribes/T2/T:V. What made it great was that it was my story and not a canned script.

the best part of spore will be beating the shit out of creatures and knowing that it's the best other players could do.

FUCK = YOU

i didn't know spore was multiplayer

i haven't really followed it though so you learn new things, i always invisioned making an aryan race in spore and conquering everyone

Ztir said:
i didn't know spore was multiplayer

i haven't really followed it though so you learn new things, i always invisioned making an aryan race in spore and conquering everyone
Yes, you can visit other people's worlds or some shit. I hope I can gift the universe with AIDS.

max said:
Yes, you can visit other people's worlds or some shit. I hope I can gift the universe with AIDS.

no, the game will automatically upload your creatures to a central database, and automatically download other players creatures.

so your entire universe will be made up of creatures (And their societies) designed by other players. it's just that all the other societies in your game will be AI controlled.

Tribalbob said:
no, the game will automatically upload your creatures to a central database, and automatically download other players creatures.

so your entire universe will be made up of creatures (And their societies) designed by other players. it's just that all the other societies in your game will be AI controlled.
well if this is how it works then you could still spread aids through thousands of galexies instead of just the one

that would really suck/be hallarious, a bunch of pink flying saucers land on your planet and watch everyone get aids

best part is that it was probably happening across hundreds of other planets too

confidential said:
:lol:

Btw do you guys still play T:V or have finally given it up for good?

Haven't had the urge to play it. I've read about the patches/mods coming for it from rapher so I might check it out then. Just casuallying gaming on the 360 at the moment. 360 is too easy to just turn on and lay on couch and play. You playing anything on PC besides T:V?

Back