[Why]Does my computer keep shutting down?

zapper770

Veteran XV
I just put together a new PC, and it runs great; until I go to play CoD 4. I will be playing the game, everything will be going fine and then BAM, my computer shuts off. I figured maybe my video card was overheating, so I opened my case and put a big window fan beside my computer. It still shuts down. I then figured that maybe one of my sticks of memory was defective, so I eliminated each stick 1-by-1 to see. My computer still randomly shuts down when playing.

Then I figured that maybe my power supply was not powerful enough to handle everything (It was a Turbolink 500) so I unplugged 2 of my old hard drives, my DVD drive, and my external harddrive to cut down on power consumption. Tried playing and once again my comp shut off after about 10 minutes of playing.

So then I went out and bought a 700 watt powersupply. I figured that would be more than enough power. But still after playing for a little while my computer shut down. At this point I'm very frustrated and any advice would really be appreciated. I know you guys are way smarter than me and most of the computer technicians around here, so hopefully one of you will be able to help.

My specs are:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard
4 GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
Two 60 Gb Sata Hard drives and One 230 Gb Sata drive
700 W Power Supply

i was having the same issue a couple weeks ago. it was gon. just kill some goat or something on a big rock for gon and it will go away.

Umm....wild shot but...there are options in the bios that you can set for the computer to shutdown if the CPU temp reaches a certain threshold. So, if you have your threshold set too low, then the computer may restart itself even though the CPU is fine. Try turning the option off and play again.

Umm....wild shot but...there are options in the bios that you can set for the computer to shutdown if the CPU temp reaches a certain threshold. So, if you have your threshold set too low, then the computer may restart itself even though the CPU is fine. Try turning the option off and play again.

which part of the bios menu should I look in?

no i really dont know how to help you, but iam sure someone else here will know what your errors mean

did u click on system

Have u ran memtest with both sticks of ram? i had an issue when gaming id lock up and have to force restart, tested each stick with memtest and passed, tested both in dual channel and it failed. Was xms2 aswell, give it a shot if u havent.

**dont know what process you did to eliminate the ram, but try memtest like i did**

Have u ran memtest with both sticks of ram? i had an issue when gaming id lock up and have to force restart, tested each stick with memtest and passed, tested both in dual channel and it failed. Was xms2 aswell, give it a shot if u havent.

**dont know what process you did to eliminate the ram, but try memtest like i did**

I have 4 sticks, and i would take one out, try and play; it would shut down. Take another one out, try and play; it would shut down...etc. Should I just google memtest.

Also, I ran speedfan and this is what came up.

speedfan.jpg

I don't really see how my comp's internal temp could actually be over 100 degrees Celsius, but if it is, I'm assuming that is bad

Back