who DOESN'T have Hi-Def television by now?

I have two right now, 52" Toshiba DLP in living room and 42" LG 1080p 120hz LCD downstairs in the newly furnished family room. True HD ftw.

I wear glasses to correct something like 94% vision. I need 'em for stuff like driving in the rain at night. From where I sit, HD would be a complete waste.

Besides, I grew up watching TV with a VHF antenna enhanced with aluminum foil, coat hangers, and steel wool. I'm still pretty damn thrilled just to see there's really a puck on the ice.

so i was watching this movie in 480i then all of the sudden my buddy brought over an UPCONVERTER

NEXT THING YOU KNOW I WAS WATCHING 1080p ON MY 26" CRT TELEVISION

HELL YEAH THX FOR THE TIP ABOUT UPCONVERTERS BRO

I don't have one, but I don't really care that much. Some day I'll upgrade, but for now my 27" 480i TV I bought in highschool is treating me just fine.

Just say you don't have the money or are not willing to throw money away on something so frivolous. Don't come up with asinine reasons.

what reason was asinine?

I don't have the money at the moment, but I have in the past. I don't consider HDTV a necessity right now. I'm not a huge fan of the current HDTV technology anyway and believe OLED screens will make enough of a difference to actually be, well, awesome.

I waited until my local cable had enough HD channels to warrant it. Around 30-40 or so. Got a Samsung 4661 1080p for a great price and I'm blown away by how good even this TV looks. Been a year or two now and I can't imagine going back. I'm glad I bought and am enjoying an HDTV instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Big thing is setting the settings as best as possible. That's what makes them look so perfect. Just using the known best settings from "calibration threads" online has such a dramatic impact on picture quality.

You may save money on entertainment, in general. More dates / movie nights at home save a bundle and the HD sports = boner!

so i was watching this movie in 480i then all of the sudden my buddy brought over an UPCONVERTER

NEXT THING YOU KNOW I WAS WATCHING 1080p ON MY 26" CRT TELEVISION

HELL YEAH THX FOR THE TIP ABOUT UPCONVERTERS BRO
That'd almost be funny...no wait, it IS funny...

since there ISN'T MUCH BEING FILMED IN 1080p yet anyways...

zero..

I've been out for days

[EDIT] Oh d@mn, I did f*ck that one up though, didn't I? Always mixin' my P's and I's up

I recently went Hd, and what a difference.

But even before I did it, I noticed the quality of the picture had gone down. At first I thought it was my TV, but I noticed it on other standard-def TVs.

I suspect the quality of standard-def has gone down to get more people to go high-def...and I'm not normally a conspiracy-theory kinda guy.

That said, HD kicks ass, and I only went w/ 720p. And I don't even watch TV that much, but I love it. I got a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma, and I'm getting a blu-ray player soon.

Back