Which defrag program do you use?

What's wrong with the Windows defrag tool?
Nothing, really. In fact, it's just a stripped down version of Diskeeper.

But the full version of Diskeeper gives you real-time defrag without using up system resources. It uses idle time to defrag and goes to sleep when you're actually using the computer. It's fire and forget and your disks are always defragged.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you don't need to bother. By default it automatically defrags once per week.

If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you don't need to bother. By default it automatically defrags once per week.

I've never seen a defrag make one bit of difference outside of a server. No clue why people bother. Vista does it for me when I am not using the computer. Thats good enough for me. Even if it didn't I wouldn't give two shits.

Vista sucks and I haven't really tried 7 yet. I'm still on XP pro.

Unless you're running a low power system like an old laptop or something, XP is finally on its way out. Not dead yet, but on its way out, mostly just to make way for 64 bit operating systems (no, XP64 doesn't count).

I have Vista64 at home and haven't had any major issues. I have Windows 7 at work and think it works wonderfully.

Backup just images the drive, including the OS. For this you would use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Note that F&STW can move your stuff from 32 bit to 64 bit but not 64 to 32.

You can pick up an external for much less than $100. For sustained transfer speeds, eSATA>FireWire>USB (assuming the PC allows for eSATA or FireWire).

Back