What's the Etiquette For an Interview at an Restaurant?

FireStarter

Veteran XX
This is the first for me, an interview at a chain-style restaurant. I still am going to dress fairly nice, but wearing a tie at a chain restaurant seems odd to me? Plus, this is going to happen in the middle of afternoon, so I guess I shouldn't order an alcoholic beverage even though it would defiantly help me feel a bit more relaxed. Oh, should I try to pay for whatever the interviewer orders for some bonus points?
Although, I am the one looking for a job and need a better pay check coming in...

This is for an insurance company that is just starting out here in my region and will be the first interview out of series of three. As in, if this one goes well, I will get another one and so on. This is for a relatively entry level position, so again, this is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Anyone else have this experience, please share it.

Who suggested the restaurant as a meeting place?

Order what you want, offer to pay.
Don't get drinks unless they suggest it.

if you're not comfortable wearing a tie...then wear a collard shirt with some slacks and nice shoes. dont order anything crazy either.

done it a few times... long ago. Not really that common of a practice. Chew with your mouth closed? Don't order alcohol? Comon sense really. Dunno it's just an interview

if you're not comfortable wearing a tie...then wear a collard shirt with some slacks and nice shoes. dont order anything crazy either.

Bingo! Top button undone, good hygene, and be punctual. When you first meet just bullshit with him for a bit. Don't just get down to work. You're selling yourself. I've never been turned down in an interview, and it works everytime.

This is the first for me, an interview at a chain-style restaurant. I still am going to dress fairly nice, but wearing a tie at a chain restaurant seems odd to me? Plus, this is going to happen in the middle of afternoon, so I guess I shouldn't order an alcoholic beverage even though it would defiantly help me feel a bit more relaxed. Oh, should I try to pay for whatever the interviewer orders for some bonus points?
Although, I am the one looking for a job and need a better pay check coming in...

This is for an insurance company that is just starting out here in my region and will be the first interview out of series of three. As in, if this one goes well, I will get another one and so on. This is for a relatively entry level position, so again, this is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Anyone else have this experience, please share it.

coat and tie.
he should pay if he asked you to come there. He should probably pay even if he didn't since he's the old guy with the company credit card.
no alcohol unless he orders some first.
what sort of position? Sales, underwriting, claims, etc? just curious.
good luck.

Definitely don't get alcoholic drinks. This should go without saying. The interviewers at my company always take people out to lunch during their final series of interviews and immediately disqualify those who order alcohol, then laugh about them later. Who drinks during interviews, especially in the middle of the day? Even if the company you are applying for isn't as hardcore, why take the risk?

Have the interviewer order first. Then follow his lead. That way you don't feel weird sipping water while he's working on a cocktail. Or vice versa.

it sucks hearing my dad's stories about the 3 martini lunch when he was interviewing back in 1980 and knowing the standard has done a 180. Do as I think you should do not as I did. :(

Back