Whats the easiest way to find out if a phone works with Verizon?

Heh, did this not an hour ago. Looking into getting the Nokia N82 when it comes out.

Verizon Wireless

that tells you about Verizon. Can't help you with the cheap phone but a google search should get you its specs in two shakes.

Last edited:
If you want to do that, you shouldn't be with Verizon. Those fuckers couldn't give a shit about what their customers want, they're only interested in milking very last cent they possibly can out of you.

:shrug: I have always had a great experience with verizon. Alltel on the other hand can eat shit and die.

I just talked to a friend that said he has an old verizon phone I could have. :rocker: He told me to call him.... :mad:

afaik, vzw will only let "verizon" phones work on their service. Same with sprint, alltel, and all other carriers.

Verizon's pay as you go is called verizon..."free" or something stupid like that.

Basically, your options are:
  • Pay $50 for 6 months for a phone you can't use ($300)
  • Pay $50 for a new phone, then pay $50 a month for 6 months ($350)
  • Move your number somewhere else and pay the $175 cancellation fee ($175 + $200-300 for new phone + monthly fees for other phone company) ($230 for loucypher's boost example) ($675 for regular service)

I'll take this out of my irc convo with lou:

ink_> well yea...heres the story:
<link_> my contract ran out this month. I am going to switzerland from January to May. I don't want to renew and get stuck paying $50 a month on a phone that I can't even use over there
<link_> It would cost me $300+ on a phone I can't even use
<link_> Now its broken though and I need a phone for the remaining time I am here in the states

So, I am not in a contract right now so I wouldn't have those fees. I don't mind losing my number, though I would prefer not to, and I will be gettin verizon again when I get back. The boost mobile option is not bad...its just boost mobile service probably blows dick. I don't use my phone alot but I like to be able to use it whenever/where-ever and verizon is the best for that.

I like lou's idea simply because it allows me to keep my phone number. If Verizon offered a "store my number for X amount per month" I would probably do it if it was reasonable.

afaik, vzw will only let "verizon" phones work on their service. Same with sprint, alltel, and all other carriers.

If you're already an account holder and your new phone is compatible with their network it's illegal in the U.S. for them to refuse you access.

oh sweet i just got off the phone with verizon wireless and they said that I could put my phone on "vacation suspend" for 90 days. I would pay something like $10-15/month to suspend the service. Then I could do it again at the end of that 90 days. :bigthumb: I have never heard of that but she swears its a feature there for everyone to use.

I might just go extend my contract then and get a sweet new phone. I'll just suspend it when I go abroad.

The boost mobile option is not bad...its just boost mobile service probably blows dick. I don't use my phone alot but I like to be able to use it whenever/where-ever and verizon is the best for that.
If you're buying into the commercials they force feed you on television, perhaps Verizon is the best. Boost Mobile is the prepaid service of Sprint/Nextel, which if you're buying into the commercials they force feed you on television, has more coverage.

I've never not had a signal with Boost. :shrug:

The little $30 i415 has a color screen, can browse the Internet, send text messages, and has GPS capabilities. For that $30 you get a $10 airtime card and the balance doesn't expire until those 90 days are up. But if you want to suspend your Verizon phone and pay $45 instead of nothing, go ahead.

If you're buying into the commercials they force feed you on television, perhaps Verizon is the best. Boost Mobile is the prepaid service of Sprint/Nextel, which if you're buying into the commercials they force feed you on television, has more coverage.

I've never not had a signal with Boost. :shrug:

The little $30 i415 has a color screen, can browse the Internet, send text messages, and has GPS capabilities. For that $30 you get a $10 airtime card and the balance doesn't expire until those 90 days are up. But if you want to suspend your Verizon phone and pay $45 instead of nothing, go ahead.

dont take it personal ;)

I am using my own experience and the experiences of freinds and family.

I like my verizon service. I will get verizon again when I come back from switzerland. If I can extend, then suspend my contract while I am in europe then I will do that because it makes sense. :shrug:

I went to go extend tonight but I ran into an issue. They said that I could only suspend for 90 days, but they would ask to see if I could suspend for 90 days x2. They fixed my broken phone though free of charge so there isn't a sense of urgency anymore about the issue. Hoepfully I can extend then suspend..that would be ideal.

If thats not possible and they can't hold my number for me I might do the boost mobile thing. If only to store my number while I am gone.

Back