what should i charge for computer services?

killerbelow said:
i really need to know a decent price for building computers, quoting prices for computers. i am still new to the whole billing thing because this will be my first time building for someone not a friend
10-20% of complete parts cost. Labor extra for install/networking/llama help.

When I go through my local computer store they do it for me automatically - print up a parts invoice I give the customer, and when they pay, the store cuts me 10%. :)

Redwood[o*] said:
I charged $200 for building a computer for friends and neighbors... That was the going rate for businesses in town that did custom work.

That was in 1997, and in middle of nowhere montana. I would imagine in richer parts of the world you would charge much more.

wtf? I would do it for free for friends, or close neighbors....

KellyMonaco said:
10-20% of complete parts cost. Labor extra for install/networking/llama help.

When I go through my local computer store they do it for me automatically - print up a parts invoice I give the customer, and when they pay, the store cuts me 10%. :)
oh shitz who is this that you go through :eek: i would love that.

well where I work is an established business, so if you are just starting out then maybe you want to charge less

selling parts only: 10%
selling/building a machine 25%

Network, repair, ect, $65 / hour, and thats on the low side of the market.

I started my own on-site desktop support business that did alright during the summer while im in college and I charged $30-$40 an hour.

killerbelow said:
ok got a preliminary pricing list up

tell me what you think

MSWord

I've been doing "computer consulting" for about 2 years now, mostly small networks, and general PC stuff, here's some advice:

1) Charge for your time, not for what you do

Flat rate it. I guarantee 90% of the time you are going to get onsite and find out that they want you to do a whole bunch of other crap as well. The easiest way to cover this is to simply charge a flat rate for your time.

2) Avoid "fixed price" items. They rarely work out. You expect them to be minimal, yet your clients will expect them to be all encompasing. Take for instance your flat rate software installation fees. Your viewing that as throwing a copy of Word onto a PC, whereas a client could potentially come to you with a program that will take several hours to install (after insisting that you fully configure it, and get any updates to the program, etc.), and you'll only make $10 or whatever you quoted yourself at.

3) Be VERY careful about what you are doing. To many of us, our PC's are toys that we goof around on. Your customers will be different (You aren't getting paid $50/hour because the guy wants to read TribalWar). I've had several close calls myself with this, and have friends who have been taken to court. If you end up doing work for businesses, they generally NEED their computers, and they will blame you for everything. Lets say they are running Windows ME, and have you come in and network it. Suddenly their crappy PC's start crashing all over. You usually won't get away with saying "Oh, too bad", and can be stuck trying to fix their problem for hours. If you walk away from it, you run the risk of being sued for loss of profit, breach of contract, etc. If you are going to do work for business people, I suggest getting a legal disclaimer written up stating that you are only liable up to the value of your services.

4) Pricing is deceptive

When I first started, I charged $25 an hour and didn't get much business. I was tired of dealing with all the crap for that little (yes, $25 sounds like alot, but you will usually put in 2 hours unbillable for every hour billable you make), so I bumped it up to $50. My clients changed dramatically. I went from being some amatuer guy that was treated as such ("Its broken, fix it"), to being a "computer professional", where they would write out detailed lists of the problems they were having, refer me to their friends, and treat like an equal instead of some joe repair guy that just showed up. The responsibility went up, but I got more work by RAISING my rates, the opposite of what you would expect.

KellyMonaco said:
It's a local shop here in San Luis... they're not a chain...

Oh, another free tip.

Find a place with a good return policy. I generally buy the components, and then get a cheque from the customer before I leave them with the gear for the value of the hardware, but buying from a place that will give you returns eases the mind a bit.

yeah... I don't buy all my personal stuff from this local place, but things that are more likely to fail, such as HDs, I only purchase from them. They've always given me a new one on the spot, even if I've had it for a year or so...

Back