Weird network issue

T-Funk

Veteran XV
So I have win7 64 bit on a pretty quick setup
but starting recently every so often my internet will cut out, say i am connected to my wireless router, but that i have no internet access
then my computer gets all choppy despite not using more than 11% cpu
like mouse keeps skipping and everything runs slow

then i kill my wireless connection and everything is fine
my wireless adapter is a rosewill pos which i'm assuming is causing the problem because my xbox and laptop never lose connection when this happens

thoughts? get a better adapter?
virus time?

How often is "every so often"? Minutes? Hours? Days?

Depending on frequency (and the config of your router), it could be fucking up the DHCP renewal process somehow, temporarily dropping you to a 'windows assigned' IP address, causing all the shit that windows runs in the background to go spastic.

Actually... if it's making your mouse skip and shit like that, it could be something failing on the USB side of things, too.. I'm assuming it's a USB dongle? That actually makes a lot more sense, come to think of it.

Check your windows event log for USB shenanigans

Last edited:
its a pci adapter

it just started happening a week or two ago

wont happen for 2 days and then will happen for 5 mins-go away for 20, 10 mins-go away for 5, 5 minutes -go away for 2 hours, then itll happen the next day at random, etc

Have you checked the event log? USB hangs off the PCI bus anyway.. if the device is crapping itself and forcing a reset it could be fucking up all sorts of shit within the system.

I'm assuming you've tried googling already?

Back