... we have apparently reached the End of Life for the laptop of choice 2005

Excel

Contributor
Veteran XV
... Anyone else noticing shit just keeps breaking on their inspiron e1705?
In the last month I've had the hard drive die, screen hinge break and shatter the plastic around it (left side, repaired sorta), had to dismantle the thing to relube the video card fan (which still wont bring it down below 55c and still makes grinding noises), my battery just finally went tits up and that little orange light wont stop winking at me despite a 100% charge on AC power...

Rock solid service for 6 years or so, its been my remote support PC when I need to VPN into work for quite some time, before that it was a vey decent gaming machine.

it sounds like you should be thankful it lasted this long? 6years is a pretty good run for a laptop

I got a 2004 inspirion. Battery went poopie a while ago. needed to get a docking port because the ac port just doesnt work anymore. Its only been used for traveling and getting wifi in hotels or whatever.

it sounds like you should be thankful it lasted this long? 6years is a pretty good run for a laptop

Oh I'm grateful, its just wierd that this shit is all happening at once. 05-10, the laptop was my gaming pc (upgraded my desktop and HTPC to i7 x58a finally).

I'll have to wait it out, give the old girl a viking funeral this august, then buy a Sager or something since NO ONE wants to put a decent screen in a sub-$1400 laptop anymore.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'd like a minimum of a 1920x1080 capable display, dedicated video at least equal to a 330m geforce, and pref it to be i5 based. Best I can find is a Sager, but not sure if trust.

Oh I'm grateful, its just wierd that this shit is all happening at once. 05-10, the laptop was my gaming pc (upgraded my desktop and HTPC to i7 x58a finally).

I'll have to wait it out, give the old girl a viking funeral this august, then buy a Sager or something since NO ONE wants to put a decent screen in a sub-$1400 laptop anymore.

good design for everything to fail at once. 1) every part is of equal quality so you're not wasting money using extra materiel something that won't be used because every other part is broken 2) one thing if one or two things break, but when everything breaks, its time to upgrade.

Back