[video cards] So.

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
Thinking about buying one, somewhere in the sub-200 range. Don't know whether to go with AMD or nVidia. I don't have any brand loyalty, but I want DX10 and good speeds and a relatively slim profile, because I have a shuttle case.

Also, if a new line of vastly improved cards are going to come out soon, I'll hold off. But probably not, unless they're some revolutionary thing that makes everything else obsolete.

honestly right now it looks like the gtx260 is the best buy IF you overclock it and IF you find it for the less than a 4870. Wait until the 4870x2 releases and see what that does to prices

nvidia is releasing the GTX 280 soon and, from what I hear, you can expect to see price drops in the next couple of weeks on the GTX 260 (which is what I want!!!)

ATI HD4850 or Nvidia 8800 GT ftw.

the ATI is newer and has posted some better scores on Tomshardware reviews.

both are very great for the price.

honestly right now it looks like the gtx260 is the best buy IF you overclock it and IF you find it for the less than a 4870. Wait until the 4870x2 releases and see what that does to prices

Seems like an incredible card, but I think because it's so new, it isn't available in a smaller size. My shuttle case won't support that because there just isn't any room for it. Heck I think it's even too big lengthwise.

So because it has to fit the profile of a single slot as opposed to double-size like this one, should I go with the best 8800 I can find?

As far as ATI is concerned, I see a bunch of "HD" labeled cards, but I haven't looked at all to see what numbers mean what. I've been pretty satisfied with nVidia in the past though, so I suppose I'll just go for the 8800.

edit: 4850, eh? I'll look into it.

Back