video card VS. processor

pbplayer

Veteran X
how important is the processor in getting good frame rates? is it mostly the video card or is the processor important also?
what would be better a slower processor and a powerfull video card, or is the other way around better? thanks.

depends on the game and what is bottlenecking the system. if you want solid good fps, make sure both components are good, otherwise one will limit you.

I dont' know the truth to it, but I think I read that a good indication of which is the bottleneck is. If you're getting the same or close FPS at different resolutions, than chances are its your processor...but if you're getting better FPS at lower resolutions, then its your Vid Card.

Its obviously not 100% true, but it made a little sense in my head.

i.e.

8x6 = 56FPS
10x12 = 56FPS

then your processor can't give your video card enough data to put out more than 56FPS...

but if its

8x6 = 56FPS
10x12 = 30FPS

then your processor is giving your video card enough to do 56 but its only capable of 30 at that res.

I could be making this all up, but I think I read it a few years ago on Anand...it makes sense, and obviously there are 100 other factors to take into consideration, but it could be a good guideline.

Quake III shows about exactly what we would expect considering the system we used to test. The GeForce3 Ti500 can match the Atlantis at lower resolutions where CPU is a bigger concern than video, but when the FSAA is turned on, the GeForce3 card takes a major hit. The 9800 Pro-based Atlantis shows almost no signs of slowing down.
- from tweak3d.net

Back