Video Artifact Issues

Backslash

Veteran X
Alright, I have an evga GeForce 6800GT. Running Windows XP SP3, on an AMD XP2800+ with a gig of ram.

About a month ago, I updated my video card drivers and later that day, I started to get artifacts and stuttering in TF2. It would freeze for a few seconds with the screen all garbled, and then be fine.
Then, it escalated to artifacts on boot. It would show the HP logo just fine, but when it changed to the windows boot loader, it would have artifacts.
I uninstalled riva tuner and the new drivers, did a reboot, then installed the previous drivers, and another reboot. Alas, I had the same problem.

Is it possible for new drivers to cause a fuck up like this, or has my card died? Is there something I'm missing entirely?

Thanks,
Backslash

Edit: I'm now using an old FX5200 with older drivers. No problems with artifacts. Just problems with shittiness.

Last edited:
heat is usually the cause artifacts. Even tho its winter have you tried cleaning up the dust or see if the fan is running correctly?

That was kind of my first thought. I took off the cover over the heat sink and dusted it all out, but I still had problems. Is it ruined then, or would better cooling fix the problem?

Thanks again

That was kind of my first thought. I took off the cover over the heat sink and dusted it all out, but I still had problems. Is it ruined then, or would better cooling fix the problem?

Thanks again

Is your case on the floor? Clear out your case fans too, not just the GPU fan.

Well, did all the cleaning to no effect. It's weird...like I said, it starts with the artifacts at boot, but when it actually get's into windows it's fine (this is with display drivers removed). Then, when I try to install drivers, it flips it's shit and goes to a black screen with some weird text pattern and I have to hard boot.

Unless anyone else has some ideas, I guess the card is just fucked, which sucks. (I bought it from someone on here last year.)

Thanks

Back