USB ports driving me crazy

rukkus

Contributor
Veteran XX
My USB ports have been asking me to install drivers for my devices lately as soon as I plug them in. For instance, my GPS, my harmony remote, my psp...

When I have Windows search for the drivers they can't be found regardless of it I let it search itself or point it to the Windows folder. Odd thing is that they sometimes work... I've tried plugging them into a usb hub and directly into the usb port on the mobo. I've tried different cables...

It's my gf's Sony Vaio laptop running XP and I've run a check disk and re-installed my chipset drivers with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? It's quite annoying...

Try going into Device Manager, and remove all of your USB controllers - if this cripples your mouse and keyboard just use your power button to let the machine power itself off, reboot, let it reinstall - this may warrant another reboot, if so reboot again, and try another USB device.

I've seen this before, but it was a couple years ago, still trying to find the exact fix for it, try this in the mean time.

Funny thing I noticed with my old XP box:

If you always plugged the USB device into the same port every time, it would be fine.

When you plug the device into a different port it asks for drivers.

I uninstalled all of the USB controllers and rebooted and now the hardware wizard is asking me for drivers for those lol... now i have no ports ;) This is retarded and after researching on the web this happens quite often with no real fix offered from MS.

You should be able to get the devices installed by pointing the installer to Windows\inf or Windows\system32\drivers if the inf is "working"

I have no idea why this breaks, or what a real fix would be for it.

I uninstalled all of the USB controllers and rebooted and now the hardware wizard is asking me for drivers for those lol... now i have no ports ;) This is retarded and after researching on the web this happens quite often with no real fix offered from MS.

Uhg, rukkus, PM me when you have some time and I'll take a look at it, this is not the kind of problem I want to walk someone through.

Funny thing I noticed with my old XP box:

If you always plugged the USB device into the same port every time, it would be fine.

When you plug the device into a different port it asks for drivers.

Yeah, it's incredibly annoying. However, recently I've noticed that with some devices (My blackberry, and my bluetooth dongle come to mind) do not do this, but most still do.

like what vlasic said, my device manager isn't defaulting to the inf folder for drivers so it gets flustered and just says it can't install anything. if i remove everything and then manually point it to the inf folder it works, but when you plug some items in, it keeps asking when it shouldn't. it's really annoying. anyone know what i need to change in the registry to point the device manager or add hardware wizard to the right folder?

Back