[USB] Does is really matter if you remove shit the "correct" way?

I always do it the right way when I can, but frankly unless you reboot or happen to know for certain what process is tying it up, I've had a completely blank taskbar and Windows still won't eject the drive. :hrm:

I always do it the right way when I can, but frankly unless you reboot or happen to know for certain what process is tying it up, I've had a completely blank taskbar and Windows still won't eject the drive. :hrm:

Mine does that at times too. Usually it will only show "drive is busy" (or whatever the hell it says) two times...then on the 3rd it will 'eject' it. :shrug:

I use a Patriot Xporter XT Boost USB flash drive which takes advantage of Windows Vista Readyboost. I believe you have to have write caching enabled to use Readyboost, so in that case I would use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option. In most cases though, you'd want to have write caching disabled. See the screenshot below:

write_cache.jpg

Data I always shut down. On occasion it can corrupt the last file accessed or more.

Better safe then sorry.

Mouse or other device I never bother.

I've had a flash drive completely die on me from not ejecting it properly. I'd rather not lose the data on mine due to stupid shit like that, so I generally always eject it first.

i never used to then i bought an 8gb cruzer and it got corrupted to where some PC's would recognize it and others would'nt. took me a few tries on different pc's to even get it restored back to factory. it was really weird. now i do the safe eject and it hasn't glitched since.

I found out last week that if you "unsafely" remove a flash drive from a windows machine and try to plug it into a linux machine, it will complain that the drive is marked as dirty and refuse to mount it.

I'll always safe eject an external HD, flash drives only if I think they MIGHT be reading/writing.

The reason with the HD, I've seen those fuckers drop the arm when you cut power to them all of a sudden.

Back