[UPDATE] Great Tribal War MOD

BugsPray

Veteran XV
Great Tribal War has been moving forward! Here's a list of what we've done up to this point:

Construction

One of Great Tribal War's primary features is the ability to create custom defenses and even small bases. Everything from platforms and forcefields, to vehicles, inventories, and solar panels may be deployed and redeployed anywhere. Below are some screenshots showing what we have accomplished with the construction features, however, they are a bit dated. Movies of the more complete version can be found after the screenshots.​

Maps

Great Tribal War is mostly known for its gigantic (and I don't use that word loosely) maps. Vast expanses dotted with a base or two here and there cover every inch of the standard GTW map. It is this that GTW is built upon. The teamwork and the strategy rely largly on the maps. We have a few maps being tested that we would like your opinions on. Screenshots of a couple of the maps are down below. You may download the maps with the link provided after.​

The Switch

The heart and soul of Great Tribal War is in the function of the switch. Each team has one and they will spawn wherever this is as long as it is deployed. The objective of GTW is to destroy the other team's switch, disabling their ability to spawn. As you can probably guess, it was not the easiest thing to make work, but Random spent a lot of time working on it, and it works! You can deconstruct the switch, deploy it anywhere you want, and spawn wherever it is located. On the aesthetic side of things, we've only got a model so far, but Rook has done a good job with it. Movies of the switch animation can be found below.​

Other Notes

- Teleporter code completed. Needs testing.
- Targeting laser partially coded.
- New vehicle partially modeled (motorbike kind of vehicle).​

Consolidated GTW Links

Our Website - It is under construction and right now it only consists of our forums.
Our Sourceforge.net project page - Our old site, but we regularly update the files here.
Original Thread - Visit here if you want to know more about what Great Tribal War is.
Old Update Thread - I believe I went over most of what's in that thread in this one.​

We'd also like to announce that we are looking for modelers, texture artists, mappers, and coders to help with the project. We are also in desperate need of an unwrapper to get our models into the game. If you are not able to do any of these things, but you still want to help in some way, please contact myself (bugspray@gmail.com) or Random (random150@gmail.com) and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks again for all of your support. If you'd like to support us more, please idle in #gtwar on irc.dynamix.com and/or post in our forums (even though we dont post enough there *cough* ;)). It helps to know that there are players anxiously waiting for the realease of our mod.

-BugsPray and the GTW team.

Last edited:
wow. Looks incredible. Im still sure GTW will never be the "Main Style" - it will always be a Niche... but it looks like it may be the best thing so far to come out of this debacle of a game release. keep up the great work Bugs,Random & Crew. I know Ill be playing it.

IMO it is not about the game play so much whats lack of players are about,,,its the UT engine and I think nobody can change that :/...ok maybe there is a change but well, nevermind...I just thought that pictures from eaaaarly early beta testing are very cool looking. Personally I hate those round type shapes everything has noewdays :p
Just look at this picture :( --> http://www.tribalwar.com/media/viewer.php?id=21

Maverick^ said:
IMO it is not about the game play so much whats lack of players are about,,,its the UT engine and I think nobody can change that :/...ok maybe there is a change but well, nevermind...I just thought that pictures from eaaaarly early beta testing are very cool looking. Personally I hate those round type shapes everything has noewdays :p
Just look at this picture :( --> http://www.tribalwar.com/media/viewer.php?id=21

:soapbox: The unreal engine is generally defined by bright graphics with fast gameplay on small maps. TV has huge maps compared to unreal and it has a brand new graphics/effects renderer. GTW will use and abuse the TV engine to all it can possibly host. We have maps that are 100x larger than MP-arid. The modified weapons and gameplay do not feel anything like unreal. I own unreal and TV, and the difference is there. You seam not to be able to comprehend the fact that the engine has no true effect on the game (this is the current gen of engines), its always in the hands of gameplay coders.

Mindflayr said:
wow. Looks incredible. Im still sure GTW will never be the "Main Style" - it will always be a Niche... but it looks like it may be the best thing so far to come out of this debacle of a game release. keep up the great work Bugs,Random & Crew. I know Ill be playing it.

GTW takes a massive amount of skill to play. It also requires team work and a comptent captain to lead. Saddly this isnt in every gamer as counter strike has proven. On top of all of that, it will take your time like no other game. Most matchs will last for 2 or 3 hrs.

Its more than likely that all the noobes will get lost the first time they play and just quit. Apparently for many players learning to read the map is quite difficult. We will probably have public PUs to help train the new players.

KnightMare said:
how is it fps?

The nice thing about big maps with very big mountains is that you a generally not looking at alot of the map at once. Most of the time, you will only see part o f the mountain and possibly a base. The fog fixes the rest.

Back