Unreal Tournament 3

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
Just got a new graphics card, and to my surprise, found out that UT3 runs smooth as butter. Just have the demo, wondering if I should buy the full game. Do any of you guys play it? I know it's got pretty good reviews, but for some reason it always seems like I drop UT games pretty quickly.

Mostly just interested in hearing if there's good online play (I usually go for CSS), and I'm also curious if the singleplayer's any good.

I mean the demo is fun, and I can download the full game for only 20 bucks, so I'm thinking this is a no-brainer, right?

its not really different than online play in any of the previous UTs, just prettier

You'll get bored of it quick.

It is a really good game. But the only servers are Euro at the moment. NO idea why but it seems the game has taken off outside of the united states. Its really hard to find a good server with a good ping.

there are hacks for cod4, yes, but the percentage of hackers is much lower than, say, CSS. also, they are much easier to spot due to the harder nature of the game and thus are easier to kick

there are hacks for cod4, yes, but the percentage of hackers is much lower than, say, CSS. also, they are much easier to spot due to the harder nature of the game and thus are easier to kick

I've been playing a ton of COD4 lately and I can't tell the difference between someone who sees me through a wall and kills me versus someone who is just unloading clip after clip through walls in case they might accidentally kill me.

UT3 is a major major failure. The game is horrible, so horrible that no one is playing it online, there's hardly any servers on the master list, and those that are up have usually no more than 1-2 people and the rest are bots.

If you really want to try it, pirate it, see just how bad it is for yourself - then buy if you really do like it, the pirated copy has no security for the installation key, not like UT2003/4.

I've been playing a ton of COD4 lately and I can't tell the difference between someone who sees me through a wall and kills me versus someone who is just unloading clip after clip through walls in case they might accidentally kill me.

maybe its just the servers i play on. the main one is HC S&D that almost constantly has admins on. Rules, such as no frags/noobtoobs/uav/airstrikes/chopper before 20 seconds in each round, no wall spamming, and defensive lines (defenders basically must defend and cannot leave choke points to objectives to look for kills) keep the gameplay fair, fun, and mature. Whenever we get a teamkiller that likes to the do RPG to the ground at the start of rounds, they get banned within seconds. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules gets warned then kicked. VOIP is heavily used, and is even required to pick up the bomb. We NEVER get hackers.

UT3 is a great game. Unfortuantely it doesnt have much of a community. It is growing, though ... Slowly.. as people update their comps.

That game is really well coded and runs well depsite looking great.

maybe its just the servers i play on. the main one is HC S&D that almost constantly has admins on. Rules, such as no frags/noobtoobs/uav/airstrikes/chopper before 20 seconds in each round, no wall spamming, and defensive lines (defenders basically must defend and cannot leave choke points to objectives to look for kills) keep the gameplay fair, fun, and mature. Whenever we get a teamkiller that likes to the do RPG to the ground at the start of rounds, they get banned within seconds. Anyone who doesn't follow the rules gets warned then kicked. VOIP is heavily used, and is even required to pick up the bomb. We NEVER get hackers.

Interesting. Total newb question (confirmation) - noobtube = grenade launcher? Only thing I could think of like it..

I only play on HC servers, even though the one-shot instant-kill sometimes gets annoying with campers.

Wall spamming = unloading through walls? There's "Killbox" I think which is nothing but composite board walls I guess. Nade spamming + wall spamming + martyr makes that map just ridiculous.

What servers do you play on?

Interesting. Total newb question (confirmation) - noobtube = grenade launcher? Only thing I could think of like it..

I only play on HC servers, even though the one-shot instant-kill sometimes gets annoying with campers.

Wall spamming = unloading through walls? There's "Killbox" I think which is nothing but composite board walls I guess. Nade spamming + wall spamming + martyr makes that map just ridiculous.

What servers do you play on?

noobtoob = grenade launcher, yes.

wall spamming = shooting blindly through walls looking for a hit indicator without a confirmed contact (seeing someone jump behind a wall and/or seeing a person on UAV behind a wall are NOT considered wall spamming)

marty is banned on the server (more teamkills than kills on HC S&D)

PM me if you want the server info. I'm out of town and cant play until next monday, and tonight is the slowest night for the server (it will be empty), but fri/sat/sun are great nights.

oh, and with the need to defend targets, camping is almost required. run n gun is not the game style. it is comparatively slow to normal servers.

I've been renting it for 360 the last couple days and it's a blast. The graphics are awesome, the gameplay is super fast, and addictive. It's the best UT yet but the same problem exists: lack of servers and network disconnects. It's better than Halo for sure. The vehicles are so fucking cool and that one space map is insane. I won't buy it because of the lack of servers, nice interface, or ranking system. I wish you could melee like in COD4. The awkward weapon changing layout is annoying.

Back