uninstall adobe reader

EvilMonkey

Contributor
Veteran XX
with the increase of reader exploits, id recommend everyone uninstall adober reader regardless of what version you have. use a free alternative if you must

i haven't found another reader that has all the features and quality of adobe reader. foxit has a terrible interface, sumatrapdf doesn't seem to let me enter values onto forms.

third party readers can potentially be even worse.

Prime example: imbedded flash in adobe reader. If you want to imbed some malicious flash code in a PDF document and open it in adobe reader, adobe reader will prompt you with a little question box that asks you if you want to run the potentially evil code. Foxit will just run it anyways.

my solution: make sure you keep it regularly updated and disable the ability to use flash in the system settings. When's the last time you looked at a pdf that was anything more than a bunch of text and pictures anyways?

from what ive seen it doesnt matter what version, im having customers with the latest version 9.3.3 still get exploited by visiting websites that download the infected pdf file without any user intervention

third party readers can potentially be even worse.

Prime example: imbedded flash in adobe reader. If you want to imbed some malicious flash code in a PDF document and open it in adobe reader, adobe reader will prompt you with a little question box that asks you if you want to run the potentially evil code. Foxit will just run it anyways.

my solution: make sure you keep it regularly updated and disable the ability to use flash in the system settings. When's the last time you looked at a pdf that was anything more than a bunch of text and pictures anyways?

I heard instantaction was working on making Tribes 4 playable in a PDF.

i'd rather risk someone discovering a foxit security flaw, than install adobe reader and remove all doubt that a flaw exists.

the number of pdf exploit related rootkits i have seen in the last two weeks greatly exceeds any outbreak of malicious code i have ever seen.

Is there a network installable/manageable alternative to Adobe Reader?

let me know if you find one :(

reader/flash player suck ass.

i'm sick of fixing the problems deploying flash player (I don't think its worked right the last 3 version updates?) and constantly having to redeploy an update, or a registry fix (ie: disable javascript) because of an 'emergency security vulnerability'. especially since its the SAME GODDAMN VULNERABILITY they've had since, what, reader 7?

are you serious?

edit: if you are, just googled adobe reader swf exploit, or adobe reader flash exploit, or adobe reader javascript exploit.

q4 of 2009 an estimated 80% (i think, can't remmember specific %) of viruses/malware/etc were delivered using reader exploits. fun fun fun.

Last edited:
2010-07-12_1144.png

Back