Um why not put the bases farther aparter?

I just realized that some maps are bigger then they seem and in maps like Winterlake only half the terrain is used.
I know that if u put the bases farther to the sides teh OB grid will be a problem...but still.

Large maps also don't run too well. This is the UT2K3 engine. It was never made for terrain, just little pieces of it with the bulk of the visual load being placed on models.

T:V's gameplay is just kind of screwy in general... nothing really seems to fit.

Nah, large maps run fine. YES it is the Unreal engine, but they did make enough tweaks themselves to make larger terrain run better.

Also: What Zio said.

Plague said:
Large maps also don't run too well. This is the UT2K3 engine. It was never made for terrain, just little pieces of it with the bulk of the visual load being placed on models.

Huh?
Please don't post if you do not know what you are talking about.

UE runs terrain excellently. The terrain renderer is very good. On even mid-level systems it is very fast and solid. The only limits that the engine has is in tiled terrain (which for the majority of game types is of no consequence) and in heightmap size (you shouldn't go over 256x256).
UE also has proper mesh clipping, which is something that T2/TGE messes up on (I'm sure any T2 vet remembers how from a distance you see the mesh objects fading up through the terrain).
On a 256k^3 sub with 512x512 heightmap and 20k+ far-distance fogging, my P4-2G with ATI 9600Pro does 200+ FPS on a bare terrain block and SkyBox. That is a good rendering speed.

And concerning how large maps run, if you do a poly count in the frustum (stat render), you'll see that UE usually runs around 100 times (or more) the number of polys that T2/TGE can handle, and at the same or better framerate.
The one issue with T:V is that they created high-poly MP maps, utilizing terrain macro textures and deco layers and considerably more detail than T2 maps ever could, so anyone trying to run T:V with max detail settings on the same system as T2 will notice a comparable decrease in framerate, due to the significantly higher poly count being rendered by UE (in other words, upgrade your system to something newer).

DGUnreal

I'd like to know what your FPS counter shows when there's action.
I got a system slightly better than yours, and i get 40-50 FPS with medium quality settings.

that's not what i consider good rendering.

NoFiX said:
Just curious, why are you comparing the piece of shit that is Unreal Engine, to T2 / Torque?

uh huh... :nuts:
UE, the top game engine currently on the market, used by more titles than pretty much any other engine ever made, is a piece of sh*t (in your opinion)...
You totally blew any degree of credibility with just one post. Apparently you know nothing about game engines. If T2 were so good, why are there not a pile of retail titles built on it?

DGUnreal

Zeonism said:
I'd like to know what your FPS counter shows when there's action.
I got a system slightly better than yours, and i get 40-50 FPS with medium quality settings.

that's not what i consider good rendering.

Please re-read my post, perhaps you missed something rather obvious...

Try running a T:V stat fps and stat render, and compare that to T2/TGE.
If T:V maps dropped the quality and polys as low as T2 maps, then your fps would be higher than T2 can ever hope to do.

DGUnreal

DGUnreal said:
UE, the top game engine currently on the market, used by more titles than pretty much any other engine ever made, is a piece of sh*t (in your opinion)...
You totally blew any degree of credibility with just one post. Apparently you know nothing about game engines. If T2 were so good, why are there not a pile of retail titles built on it?

DGUnreal

erm that is NoFix talking... i really do hope you enjoy your stay here

name some DECENT games that use the unreal engine (not 3), not just games that dev's want out quick

DGUnreal said:
Please re-read my post, perhaps you missed something rather obvious...

Try running a T:V stat fps and stat render, and compare that to T2/TGE.
If T:V maps dropped the quality and polys as low as T2 maps, then your fps would be higher than T2 can ever hope to do.

DGUnreal

uhm, you wrote that if i run T.V (at max details) with my "T2 system" it would suck
(compared to what i get in T2 (at max details) ), and i should upgrade the system.

I got a machine capable of running the newest games at max details and get 125+ FPS.
So no, my system have no bottelnecks when it comes to running games at high detail.

I get 130 in T2 when it's pressured, i get 40 in T.V.
Yes T2 is an old game, but i still get the same amount of FPS in games like Farcry, Stalker and HL2 (not that it renders that much per map).

So what if it can render big areas of bare terrain with no/little fog, and produce a high number of frames per second?
It's kind of useless if it's the opposite when there's action going on POV.

Last edited:
DGUnreal said:

DGUnreal

I'm not looking for credibility...

I'll try this again; Why are you comparing UE to Torque / T2? Simply...WHY?

DGUnreal said:

DGUnreal

NoFiX's opinion amounts to nothing as usual.

Back