ultrawide monitor

so my 2008 lcd monitor is staring to die on me and its black friday, looked around and the only IPS screen on sale is one of those ultrawide things, are they any good for gaming?

everything else on the screen looks solid, specially considering the 66% off.

yeah, but you can still grab that model, right?

that's the best gaming monitor under $300. Over $300, I'd grab a 1440p korean panel. Further up, I'd grab the rog swift.

If it's for gaming, get a 144hz monitor and nothing else. IPS looks nicer, sure, but the difference between 60hz and 120+hz is huge and will actually improve your gameplay experience.

I got rid of an ultrawide monitor. The stretch effect for software that doesn't support the 21:9 resolutions was just not worth it

If you're playing a game in that ratio you're going to need a really high FOV for things to look right compared to 16:10 or 16:9. 90 FOV is ideal for 4:3, you need higher FOV the closer to 16:10 you get, and 120 is typically the highest allowed in some games. I don't even know what a game is going to look like in 21:9 fullscreen without some hack or native support for something like 160 FOV.

If you're playing a game in that ratio you're going to need a really high FOV for things to look right compared to 16:10 or 16:9. 90 FOV is ideal for 4:3, you need higher FOV the closer to 16:10 you get, and 120 is typically the highest allowed in some games. I don't even know what a game is going to look like in 21:9 fullscreen without some hack or native support for something like 160 FOV.

good argument, didn't buy it.

Back