Ultimate Game Manual

Wheee, isn't marketing fun when you can just ask[/] your consumers what they want?! A paper manual is now assured. ;) OK, so it's clear there's a perceived value for manuals. A couple more questions:

- When you see a booklet manual, do you assume the game is cheezy or low-budget?

- When you see a "normal" sized manual, do you assume the game is run of the mill?

- When you see a huge manual, do you assume the game is very complicated, requires a lot of instructions, and is daunting to play?

It's proven that the weight of the box equates to value in a consumer's mind.

Would you rather have a short printed manual and a pad of Tribes paper, or a long game manual?

the little tiny booklets that come on the inside of the CD case make me think the game is cheaper. When I see a normal manual that is organized, colorful, and fun to read i get a good first impression of the game. A hotkey sheet also makes me happy. A giant manual (baldur's gate) makes me go what the fuck. It would be cool if there was a manual for the game and a seperate one for tribes backstory, WW2 online did this: it had a little booklet that talked about all the vehicles and weapons IRL, and one for the game. I thought that was pretty cool.

Rabid Poop said:
the little tiny booklets that come on the inside of the CD case make me think the game is cheaper. When I see a normal manual that is organized, colorful, and fun to read i get a good first impression of the game. A hotkey sheet also makes me happy. A giant manual (baldur's gate) makes me go what the fuck. It would be cool if there was a manual for the game and a seperate one for tribes backstory, WW2 online did this: it had a little booklet that talked about all the vehicles and weapons IRL, and one for the game. I thought that was pretty cool.
:rofl: Baldur's Gate is exactly what came to my mind when he said huge manual.

Marweas said:
- When you see a booklet manual, do you assume the game is cheezy or low-budget?
Most definitely. Every awesome game I've played has had a nice manual. Its is one of the major contributors to what I call "polish" or "production value". Also note that the manual is often time the first thing people see/read when they open the box. First impressions cannot be undone.

- When you see a "normal" sized manual, do you assume the game is run of the mill?
Depends on whats in it. If I see a manual that is normal sized and I dont see a lot of concept art/backstory I tend to think the game is run of the mill. See Rise of Nations for an example of this.
- When you see a huge manual, do you assume the game is very complicated, requires a lot of instructions, and is daunting to play?
Depends on the manual format. I think part of the reason BG seems so huge is because of the way its bound.

Would you rather have a short printed manual and a pad of Tribes paper, or a long game manual?
I dont know exactly what you mean here, but if you are referring to putting stationary in the box that would be....interesting. Either way I'd want a nice, long game manual. Also, I wouldnt want you to seperate the manual into two different booklets for backstory and gameplay. Its fun to read little storyline quirks while you are reading boring directions.

EDIT: Almost as important as the contents of the booklet is its cover. People always judge books/games by its cover. The coolest covers in my mind are one that are made of really nice paper and are embossed to have a texture.

Last edited:
Anyone ever see the Falcon 3.0 manual? That came in like a 3 volume set.. Rediculous..

I'd like to see a manual that is of 50 page value. I think the main focus should be that this manual will most likely only be used for the first few weeks, if that for vets of Tribes. So going all out on a super high quality high cost manual isn't worth it, imo.

Quick reference cards for keyboard layout and voice chat menu are a must. Maybe even a quick reference for packs/deployables/armors.

Then have the manual, simply go into good detail with tips and tricks and lots of screenies. :)

I used to be a Warhammer 40k freak. Their basic rule book, and all their manuals, are full of exact game information (since they hold all the rules) explained in roleplaying style and interspersed with stories and tales from the game world. The tribes fiction and backstory would allow for this in perfect form, IMO. You could include cool artwork and "battle" scenes showing off the different weapons in action ,and include war-stories of "the battle of Ithor Igul, 3350 C.E." or whatever. Go look at a warhammer codex or rulebook and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

The warhammer rule book is over 100 pages, full 8 1/2 by 11 size. I have read the whole thing more than twice, more for the stories and fiction that for the rules and tips. Basically, backstory is win in a manual.

starsiege manuals ruled

look at all this stuff, key layout card and awsome manuals, one SOLEY dedicated to the story behind starsiege

ssbox.jpg

look how thick the 2 manuals it came w/ are

ssbox2.jpg

and you may say "well it didnt sell well" i swear if u wouldve plasterd Mark Hammils name in big letters on that box it wouldve sold so fast.

i love nice, well bound, heavy manuals. they're great reading material when you otherwise can't be playing the game. the little booklet inserts make me thing "deer hunter" esque.

The Warcraft III manual is the perfect size, I think. That thing's got some mass, and the pages are kinda small. If you can bind the manual with staples, it sucks, for the most part. This manual is about 3/8 inches thick, and probably has the same area as a jewel case (a little taller and thinner). It's also filled with great descriptions and backstory.

The key is:
Every unit is explained, but does NOT say how much damage it does, armor it has, money it costs, etc. It gives a nice little description of it, its relation to the universe, and a graphic.

and no paper CD sleaves like morrowind and ut2k3 used, that shit makes it feel so cheap its amazing (plus CD's go on my CD rack, paper sleaves are for assholes)

Um, I just read through manuals when I'm bored, or because I want to see some pictures.

I read through through the T1 manual every few months and get all nostalgic. :shinner:

Anyways, I usually just go through the options to figure stuff out. I don't think I've ever read a manual before I played the game. :invert:

Personally I loved the Tribes 1 manual, but as others have said games such as Warcraft 3 and the like have done a good job with manuals and inserts.

Colosus said:
I like manuals to have a rich backstory, lots of artwork, etc. I usually read through them while I'm installing the game or sitting on the toilet. :-D

What do you do to the pages of the manual you don't like...?

:rofl:

On Manuals, I like to see game art in it, especially if it is good art. I wasn't super fussed with the actual T1 game art, not realyl my style. But I have still looked at it loads. Manual needs more then just how to play IMO.

Back