UFC Undisputed 2009

Only played the demo and it feels too arcadey. Then I downloaded the fight night 4 demo last night and that too feels like they've fucking dumbed it down. Maybe just gotta give em more of a chance.

Only played the demo and it feels too arcadey. Then I downloaded the fight night 4 demo last night and that too feels like they've fucking dumbed it down. Maybe just gotta give em more of a chance.

Aw that sucks cause FNr3 was awesome. ill have to get the demo for 4

Its a pretty big change from FN3... at least in the way you block and parry. Now the fights seem more like slugfests, then again its only a 3 round demo so whatever. Probly gotta get used to it. Im buying it regardless.

Yeah it came out today and in the span of 3 minutes of me waiting in line at EB I managed to catch 7 other people buying the game... and that was in the middle of the day work hours.

i played ufc online with supernova

its laggy as fuck, needs alot of tuning

overall pretty arcade like, i just smash heads in on the career mode ;/

Was playing online a minute ago and went for a head kick but the other guy tried to takedown at the same time, so instead it lifted my knee and caught him in the face for an easy KO :D

This game is really fun to play with friends, but it's just not polished enough.

The potential for future MMA games is insane though if they can fine tune some things.

I lost my initial ideas on this...

hopefully this leads to better versions because this one is chalk full of problems.

load times and save times and lack of 'nickname options' lack of 'styles' such as listing arlovski as BJJ when he's a samba fighter. no hair options (they cut clay guida from the game because they couldn't program hair that didn't clip), lack of referee options (is it only mario and steve?)

apparently online play is bugged as well

Last edited:
:lol:

I hear he has a killer two-step.

ugh, misspelled: sambo.

sidenote: I have found about five different accepted spellings for jiu-jitsu.

Basically the game breaks you down into the following catergories:

standup pick one: boxer, muay thai, kickboxing
ground game pick one: wrestler, bjj, judo

there seems to be little quantifiable difference so far in the 3. I'm not seeing judo throws or anything special from the different styles... and it seems like everyone in the world uses kimuras and knee bars... basically the game lacks the depth that it needs.

I haven't played Undisputed, but the problem with all of the old MMA games is that the controls to actually make grappling meaningful just aren't there. Technically even striking probably can't be adequately controlled. Take Fight Night, for example. FN has very solid controls and allows you to more or less do what you want, but it uses every button and both sticks, and only covers Boxing. Now add kicks, knees, elbows, clinch work, and grappling, and there's an obvious gap between available inputs and expected outcomes.

In the end, you end up with a lot of "canned" animations (even if the transitions are fluid) that just feel like bad RPS and not actually fighting.

Then there's the obviously asinine design decisions where they allow things like top-game wrestlers even *having* moves like knee bars and footlocks, and it just hurts the overall feel of the game for true fans.

Edit: And I know it was a typo. =p

I haven't played Undisputed, but the problem with all of the old MMA games is that the controls to actually make grappling meaningful just aren't there. Technically even striking probably can't be adequately controlled. Take Fight Night, for example. FN has very solid controls and allows you to more or less do what you want, but it uses every button and both sticks, and only covers Boxing. Now add kicks, knees, elbows, clinch work, and grappling, and there's an obvious gap between available inputs and expected outcomes.

In the end, you end up with a lot of "canned" animations (even if the transitions are fluid) that just feel like bad RPS and not actually fighting.

Then there's the obviously asinine design decisions where they allow things like top-game wrestlers even *having* moves like knee bars and footlocks, and it just hurts the overall feel of the game for true fans.

Edit: And I know it was a typo. =p
agreed, although apparently the latest PRIDE game kicked ass (never played it, never saw it)

I think there's not enough variation between all the fighters and input skills. I've only played 8 of the demo games and like 6 of the real, but i've yet to see someone take the others back, and zero RNCs.

Back